Canadiens vs. Predators Top Six Minutes: The Habs control the game, but fall short in the shootout
Predators edge Canadiens in a 3-2 shootout victory in P.K. Subban's return to the Bell Centre.
For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- P.K. Subban is back in town? Really? I had no idea.
- Really excited for the Yannick Weber and Alexei Emelin tributes partway through the game.
- Well done, Sportsnet, on your intro for Hockey Night in Canada.
- This camera is spending an awful long time on P.K. Subban as the U.S. anthem is being sung. A long, long, long time./
They're chanting "P.K., P.K." here en masse.— Eric Engels (@EricEngels) February 11, 2018
- Puck drop. Let's do this. Dave Randorf and Garry Galley on the call.
- P.K. touches the puck and gets...cheered? Booed? A mix of both.
- 1⁄2 of the Nashville Predators defensemen are ex-Canadiens, Subban, Yannick Weber, and Alexei Emelin (Weber and Emelin started the game as partners).
- Subban briefly marks Pacioretty. Bet the photographers at this game love that one.
- Rinne makes a great save on the power play on Galchenyuk.
- Subban and Plekanec, who've sparred at practice before, exchange pleasantries briefly after the whistle.
- Alzner takes a penalty, but the penalty kill(which is ranked top-5 at home!) stifles the Predators power play by not allowing a shot. Very impressive.
- Wow. Alexei Emelin gets called for tripping after he sends Nikita Scherbak flying. Scherbak clutches his right knee.
- So, more fisticuffs after the power play. Subban and Gallagher are a part of the melee. Intense.
- No thoughts on Coaches' Corner, was too busy listening to the Black Panther soundtrack./
- Pekka Rinne is at it again with the huge saves! But imagine if Rinne allowed a goal after that rebound off the Logan Shaw...pass?
- Is Brendan Gallagher hurt? Randorf says he wasn't on the bench.
- Max Pacioretty makes a move on Subban, ultimately doesn't get a shot on net.
- Habs' fourth line vs. the Preds top line? Okay.
- Hey, Gallagher's back.
- Paul Byron, the SPEED from this man.
- The Canadiens have played like the better team on this night. Brendan Gallagher deserves his goal.
- And I LOVE that he chirped at PK Subban as he skated past the Preds bench. More of this, please.
- 20-goal season for Brendan Gallagher, who plays like he cares nearly every night.
- Is that a chef hat on the Predators logo?
- Scott Hartnell ties the game at one goal apiece.
- Habs crash the net, invading Pekka Rinne's personal bubble. If you go to the net...
- Phil Danault might return to play next week.../
Subban through 2 periods:— Marc Dumont (@MarcPDumont) February 11, 2018
-21% Corsi For.
-22% Scoring Chance for.
-14% High-Danger Corsi for.
- Scherbak was so close to scoring on Rinne. In other news, man am I glad to see him get ice-time! Over 12 minutes and four shots to this point in the game. He's growing more and more confident as the game goes on.
- Carey Price, sprawled out over the crease after making a great save on Ryan Johansen, can't stop the Kevin Fiala goal. 2-1 Preds.
- Think we can all agree that the Predators don't deserve this lead.
- P.K. Subban holds on to the puck for a long time behind his net. Clock killer?
- JONATHAN DROUIN. GAME-TYING GOAL. What a shot. What a time and what a place./
- This game has been so much fun. End-to-end action continues for a few more minutes.
- P.K. coughs the puck up, and the Habs almost make him pay.
- Gallagher and Subban do battle. Gallagher blows by him and gets a chance on net.
- Galchenyuk and Gallagher are the most dangerous forwards on the ice in this overtime period.
- Paul Byron almost buried the overtime winner. Rinne's rebound control today? Off.
- Pekka Rinne has been on ONE in this overtime period.
- Nikita Scherbak ran into Arturri Lehkonen after trying to hold the puck for himself in the Preds zone. And he looked really smooth doing it too.
- 3-on-3 overtime > the shootout. But you already knew that./
- Ready for this?
- Paul Byron, wide of the net.
- Ryan Ellis(?), slows down, picks his spot. Up high on Carey Price
- Jonathan Drouin, backhanded finish finds Pekka Rinne's glove
- Filip Forsberg, shot easily stopped by Carey Price
- Captain Max Pacioretty, stopped by Rinne but it nearly trickles past him into the net. That's game. And that was a fun one. /
Highlight of the night
Jonathan Drouin with an absolute snipe on Pekka Rinne to tie the game. pic.twitter.com/0jLj29x9T3— Scott Matla (@scottmatla) February 11, 2018
EOTP 3 Stars
3. Huge game-tying goal from Drouin
2. Some encouraging skill from Scherbak
1. And a sentiment rarely felt this season.