Canadiens vs. Red Wings Top Six Minutes: Working overtime
Alex Galchenyuk sealed a Habs win for game number 82, though it took an extra frame to get it done. The Canadiens’ strung-together lineup played a solid team game and skated away with two points.
For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
This is it, the 82nd game of the year, the last one before the playoffs. The Canadiens have booked a date with the New York Rangers, but before the post-season starts, the Habs roll into Detroit, Montreal’s final game at Joe Louis Arena.
- We get to see the Sarge tonight!
- That might be the bright spot in a hilariously underwhelming roster that Montreal is sending onto the ice.
- Also glad to see Lindgren getting another start, the kid is alright.
- Lots of buzz about Galchenyuk’s spot, but really, no judgement should be brought on tonight’s lineup, I shall wait to see our playoff lines.
- Let’s hurry up and start so this game can be over with, already./
- Lots of youth in Detroit’s lineup also - this should be... interesting.
- Lindgren making a nice early stop, I like.
- Chucky with a nice drive, maybe don’t give other teams (read: Chris Kreider) ideas about crashing into goalies, though.
- Better energy than expected from Montreal so far...
- Pressure by Detroit, but Montreal clears it.
- No they don’t.
- There it is, Nielsen scores off a broken play, but what a sweet backhand that was.
- Cute, Robbie Russo tried to hit Michael McCarron. Truly adorable.
- Huge stretch save by Lindgren, Price-esque, even.
- 1-0 Detroit after twenty. The Leafs game has been pretty good, but don’t tell anyone. /
- An Artturi Lehkonen video montage is a good video montage.
- Seriously, what’s not to love about the Super Finn? He’s got a hot hand of late, hopefully to be continued.
- Bob Cole getting excited is pretty fun.
- Way hey, the Habs have tied the game! Great shot by Beaulieu, awesome double screen by Danault and of course, Gallagher.
- ...nothing is happening...
- Nice fourth line shift by Big Mac and the Shakes.
- A thing happened! It was a Red Wings goal, but it sure as heck happened. Nice one-timer by Larkin.
- That got both teams skating, the speed just went up tenfold.
- Super Finn! L’Arttiste ties it back up at deuces.
- That’s how it ends after the second./
- Alright, we’re in this and even though prior to the game I didn’t really care what the outcome would be, now I really want to win this game.
- Cheeky attempt by Byron on the two-on-one, but no cigar.
- Lernout looked shaken, but not stirred. Can’t really afford to lose more defencemen.
- Um... somehow, Lindgren kept the puck out there, really no idea how it happened.
- Nevermind, that was Nate the Great rescuing a sure goal.
- Honestly I’m really enjoying Beaulieu’s game tonight, he’s showing confidence at both ends of the ice.
- Lindgren hits the post hard, but looks fine.
- Gallagher blasts one over the net. Hell of a shot, though.
- Regular season not quite long enough, we need overtime to settle this./
Overtime (A.K.A. “Extra Fun”)
- Sigh, the octopus on the ice routine. At this point, I don’t find it special.
- Chances at both ends, each goalie comes away unscathed.
- There it is, ladies and gentlemen, the Habs win 3-2!
- Galchenyuk makes a statement of his own./
Bring on the playoffs, baby!
EOTP 3 Stars
Habs Highlight of the Night
Lehkonen reaches 18 (!!) on the year.