Here we go folks, the games that actually matter are upon us. After their inspiring win against Team USA, Team Canada won their division, and will face Team Switzerland in the first knockout game of the tournament for a Canadian squad that has been all over the place.
There is a tendency to be overconfident about games against teams like the Swiss, but I would advise not to count your chickens before they hatch. The return of Griffin Reinhart added much needed stability to the Canadian blueline, and Zachary Fucale's superb performance put an exclamation point on the victory, but the Swiss are a team that just upset a strong Finnish squad.
Then again, the Finns are missing Artturi Lehkonen, who's been out with an ankle injury for the previous two games.
The game against the Americans was also a bit of a coming out party for Connor McDavid, with the Jonathan Drouin having his worst game of the tournament.
Canada will need to put in another strong performance, and hopefully improve their powerplay in order to take the Swiss down. The game begins at 11am EST on TSN, with pregame at 10:30.
- Team USA announces their roster for the Olympic games in Sochi
- Happy New Year from Eyes on the Prize, what do you want to see in 2014?
- Top Six Minutes: Worst Collapse in 2013.
- World Juniors 2014 Game Recap: Canada vs USA - Praise Fucale!
- Catching the Torch: Dec. 23 to Dec. 29
- Complete coverage of the Habs' loss to the Hurricanes
- Who makes Team Canada for the Sochi Winter Olympics? EOTP debates