Things to get excited about during the 2013-2014 NHL season
Less than a month remains until the puck drops on the 2013-2014 NHL season. We've made a list of things we're looking forward to this year. We'd also like to hear yours.
All right, summer's over, it's time to cry it out and get back to business. As of last night, all of the NHL players in the universe have officially tweeted that they are back in their respective NHL cities and "pumped" to get back to work. I too, am "pumped" to get back to work, in the sense that I don't use the word "pumped" really but I've been on somewhat of a blogging hiatus since the Canadiens' season ended and it's going to be fun to have things to write about. And get excited about. Here's a list of things we can get "pumped" about this next NHL season.
- I am sure the Douglas Murray jokes every time the Habs play the Leafs will be extremely funny.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets. We should all try to go to one, maybe even two or three Blue Jackets games now that they're in our conference, so we can BOBROVSKY and annoy the living shit out of everyone seated in the same section. Sup Ottawa.
- The Detroit Red Wings being in our division. The exciting games against them can offset the games we're going to have to watch between the Habs and Buffalo. Is there a more tedious team in any sport in any league on any planet in any universe than the Buffalo Sabres?
- To completely ignore the Calgary Flames.
- Steve Mason in Philadelphia.
- After two games, Ray Emery in Philadelphia, for the rest of the season.
- The moment Ottawa Senators fans realize that the P.K. Subban - Erik Karlsson debate was over a long time ago.
- And the moment they realize it wasn't even a thing.
- Patrick Roy press conferences.
- Games between the LA Kings and pretty much anybody.
- I am sure the Douglas Murray jokes every time the Habs play the Bruins will be extremely funny.
- Mikhail Grabovski is a Washington Capital. Let's all take a moment and remember the time the Toronto Maple Leafs bought out one of their better players and he ended up with the Washington Capitals.
- Also, we can be excited to see if there are any new ways the Toronto Maple Leafs can come up with to torture their fans. You'd think they'd run out...
- The Nashville Predators. The Preds are our arbitrarily-chosen hockey team crush this year (because I said) and here's how we're going to handle said crush: we're going to be all excited about Seth Jones and Shea Weber and Pekka Rinne and Smashville and all of the adorable things about the unhateable Predators. Then we're going to watch a few of their games. Then we're going to be like, "yo, where are the, um, like, goals, and stuff?" Then we're still going to loudly proclaim our love for them while quietly not watching any more of their games unless they make the playoffs.
- What team Jaromir Jagr will end up on at the trade deadline.
- John Tavares, because if you are not excited about John Tavares every year, you are probably a Penguins fan.
- That is not a compliment.
- I am sure the Douglas Murray jokes every time the Habs play the Senators will be ... no, they won't, all we're going to get is a bunch of whining about Erik Karlsson.
- The Minnesota Wild.
- Okay I lied. Nobody is excited about the Minnesota Wild.
- How John Tortorella and Roberto Luongo are going to get along.
- How John Tortorella and the Sedins are going to get along.
- How John Tortorella and Chris Higgins are going to get along redux.
- How many minutes John Tortorella is going to last before losing his shit on the Vancouver Canucks media.
- Basically everything to do with John Tortorella in Vancouver.
- The San Jose Sharks. This could finally be the year, you guys. Because if it isn't, then next year could finally be the year, you guys. Actually, probably not.
- The Habs, yo. I love this team so much it makes me want to break into dance in public sometimes. I'm pretty ‘meh' on the additions they've made over the summer but man am I excited to see last year's guys back in action again.
- Maybe with better goaltending, let's try that.
This is by no means an exhaustive list. I may or may not have showed up to EOTP training camp a little out of shape due to inadequate summer posting. Also, tell us what you're excited about for the upcoming season.