Canadiens vs. Kings Top Six Minutes: Habs get shut out in home opener
The Habs outplayed the Kings but couldn’t solve the goalie puzzle.
For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
Yes, it’s only been a week but you can’t deny being pleasantly surprised by the Habs performance so far this season. Admit it.
You know you want to.
- I bet 99% of you cheered when Kotkaniemi hit the ice for his first home game, whether you knew it was going to fly out of you or not
- We’re heading to the power play just two minutes in after a slashing call against Kempe. Hopefully the King’s aren’t planning on playing that kind of game tonight
- ... as Doughty cross-checks Domi
- And then Kempe opens the scoring as he comes out of the box
- Kotkaniemi called for hooking
- This is not a great first five minutes
- Tatar so close to tying it up with a mini-breakaway
- Three Habs end up below the goal line, so Amadio decides to flick a wrist shot past Price to make it 2-0
- No call on both cross-checks to Domi OR a penalty shot given to Tatar. It’s like that, hey refs?/
- Heading into the second period down by two is not ideal
- But, we have the speed. We have the chances. We just need the goals
- Price coming up big to keep out Carter
- So the refs do know what a cross-check looks like as Benn heads to the box. They must have checked their school books during intermission
- Doughty finally gets a call against him for mauling Shaw. Turns out that’s the line the refs won’t let him cross
- Tatar off the crossbar! The puck...not the player
- Three power plays and outshooting the Kings but nobody can solve Campbell. Dude’s like a rubik’s cube/
- I figured it out. They’re planning on winning in OT because of the whole ‘93 Habs vs Kings thing
- I was a bit slow to catch on, but I’m with you now guys
- Seeing Gallagher smile up at Phaneuf after being checked to the ice is the very definition of Gallagher
- A broken play and Carter finally got one past Price to extend the lead
- Shaw broke the force field!
- And off we go to video review to see if Shaw bumped Campbell in the process
- We have a goal!
- Now the Kings are calling for goaltender interference
- Goal is giveth. Goal is taketh away
- I’m pretty sure Jack Campbell sold his soul for a special force field/