Canadiens @ Lightning Top Six Minutes: Habs fall in an old fashioned shootout
Habs go goal-for-goal with the top team in the league, but aren’t awarded with the win.
For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- The Habs had a successful return from Christmas break after taking home the win against the Panthers on Friday night!
- It was an expensive win, but a win nonetheless./
- Killorn comes in on Niemi early but Niemi has his footing after last night and he’s ready for it.
- It took two minutes but the Habs finally got themselves out of their own zone.
- Chaput is monkey in the middle on those last few passes with each shot missing his blade and going between his legs instead.
- A great defensive play by... Brendan Gallagher?
- Kotankiemi’s patience sets Shaw up to bang it home on the power play to open the scoring! You read that right, we’ve got ourselves a power-play goal, baby.
- Sixteen seconds later and Agostino notches his second of the season to make it 2-0! Sixteen seconds!
- Gourde with a tip-in to cut the lead in half. So what, we still have the lead Tampa.
- It’s a little early to have a freak out isn’t it Cooper? Calm down Jon, before you choke on your gum.
- Tatar passes to Gallagher, who’s back on to him mind you, and Tampa ties it up.
- Jordie Benn takes the lead 28 seconds later! Jordie Benn with an assist AND a goal. /
- Niemi with another good save early in the period to stop a rebound from tying it up.
- This time Tampa is stuck in their end. Much better.
- Petry heads to the sin bin for crosschecking. Let’s work those PK skills, boys.
- Well, they don’t call them the top power-play team in the league for no reason, but three seconds in? That hurts.
- But not as much as Johnson striking to take the lead 38 seconds later.
- Kulak picks a prime time to notch his first goal as a Hab! And we’re all tied up again.
- Fifty-two seconds later and Shaw wastes no time slapping one past Vasilevskiy to take the lead once again!
- Tampa heads to the power play again as Shaw gets called for hooking. Did you guys not learn anything last time?
- Thankfully, you did./
- Danault starts the period with a stick to the face and the Habs head to the power play right off the bat.
- It’s Gallagher’s turn to head to the box for “slashing”.
- No need to get cocky. But it’s killed off so whatever works.
- We’re midway through. Hang in there Niemi.
- Or not. Annnnd we’re knotted up at five. Because that’s how this game rolls.
- Which means, it’s our turn now. Any minute now...
- Puck makes it past Niemi but he manages to swipe away the puck that landed in the blue paint. Whew!
- Tied at five, with five minutes left and the game is picking up even more speed. It’s games like this where I should have my doctor on speed dial.
- Erne makes it 6-5 with 1:02 left in the period.
- There’s still time...right?
- But not enough. /
Highlight of the night
EOTP 3 Stars
3) No complaints here
2) Great game from the rookie
1) Plenty of positives to take from tonight’s performance for sure