Happy hockey thoughts!
A brief post on some things we're happy about regarding the Canadiens and the NHL.
I'm doing something a little bit different with this post, because I've been really cranky on the internet lately, and I often get accused of being too critical or anxious about the Habs and hockey in general. So I've decided to postpone a couple of the posts I've been working on and to write up a bunch of my happy hockey feelings for this one:
• It's officially training camp.
• RDS is airing all of the Canadiens' preseason games. I'm pretty glad about how spoiled we are here in Montreal in terms of TV coverage of our hockey team. I found out two years ago that some NHL games don't get aired at all (this is how spoiled we are, I had NO idea). I also found out you can still watch those games on GameCentre or whatever, and it looks like some guy secretly filmed a movie from the 10th row while it was in theatres and is now trying to sell you the DVD.
• The best part of the preseason games is all the players who have no hope of making the team this year that we're still going to pretend have a shot because they're so good. A couple of years ago, I went to a game where P.K. Subban was that kid... and now he's got a Norris trophy.
• P.K. Subban is ours, not anyone else's.
• I was thinking about the Olympics, and how John Tavares is finally going to play with players who deserve to play with John Tavares, and is it February yet?
• SIDNEY CROSBY AND STEVEN STAMKOS ON A LINE TOGETHER IS IT FEBRUARY YET?
• Meanwhile, in Nashville, Seth Jones is currently staying at Shea Weber's house and I am dying of joy over it.
• Speaking of Shea Weber, is it February yet?
• I've decided to tell anybody who will listen, even though I have absolutely no reason to back it up, that Carey Price is going to have a career year this year. Good Carey is so fun to watch.
• Over in Philly, their training camp festivities apparently include a sand sculpture of Claude Giroux.
• Speaking of Claude Giroux, is it February yet?
• Players I've missed the most: Max Pacioretty, P.K. Subban, Lars Eller, Brendan Gallagher, Alex Galchenyuk, and Andrei Markov. Almost time...
• I love living in a world where the Chicago Blackhawks and the Los Angeles Kings are a thing. Can we have a division where it's just 82 games of them playing each other?
• I think it's finally time to get weirdly into the Oilers.
• The Bruins did not win the Stanley Cup this year. It's always time for that.
• Hey, remember when they shipped Tyler Seguin off to Dallas?
• Are we coming around on Danny Briere? On last night's Ears on The Prize episode, Mike and Andrew talked a little bit about how Briere could be used if Brian Gionta isn't ready to go for the beginning of the season. I'll have more on him later this week, but I'm starting to unmeh regarding Briere. I hope you are, too.
• The puck drops in three weeks. Get into it.