Canadiens vs Sabres Top Six Minutes: Habs hand the Sabres two points
Lacklustre play costs the Habs as the Sabres come from behind to win in overtime.
For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- Alexander Radulov has 35 points in 45 games this season. Tonight is his 200th NHL game.
- Tonight is also Plekanec’s 891st NHL game, putting him 13th on the Habs’ all-time games played list. #GoodLuck
- 64 shots last 3 games which is their second worst total of the season. So.... progress?
- Kirk Muller said he wants to give the Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov line licence to be creative vs focusing on structure. As long as they create goals, I’m in. /
- Saturday night in Montreal. Oh baby. Here we go.
- Game starts with a Paul Byron rush because of course. No threat though.
- Radulov crossed up two Sabres so much they crashed into each other.
- Oh right. Gionta.
- Habs feeling so confident in their own end vs the Sabres, they’re chancing passes right into the slot. Maybe don’t, though.
- Okposo attempts a snipe but Carey flashes the leather and says no.
- Radulov to Pacioretty in the crease with Lehner down and hOW DID THAT NOT GO IN?!
- Pacioretty actually made the save himself. THE CAPTAIN DOES IT ALL.
- I was actually in the middle of typing “What a great defensive play by Radulov” when the ref called it a hooking penalty. Alright then. /
- Habs start the second with 1:50 left for Paul Byron to get a shorthanded goal.
- Penalty killed!
- Habs put the pressure on the Sabres and come close a couple times but no dice.
- L’ARTTISTE! On a Paul Byron rebound. 1-0 Good Guys!
- Oh look, the Habs forgot about Gionta too. Tie game.
- Price with some flashy saves. Let’s go see if Lehner can do the same.
- Turns out no. Petry shot tipped by Danault! 2-1 Habs!
- Or maybe he can. Lehner with a couple good ones to keep the game within one.
- Whoops. Brain cramp. Emelin to the box.
- Penalty killed again!
- Redmond’s had a couple nice chances. I bet he gets one tonight.
- Habs get a nice chance and then a powerplay!
- Sabres kill it off handily./
- Great chance by Kane early on but the Habs get lucky.
- All Sabres here, though both teams looking like they played last night.
- Plekanec whiffed on a sure goal from the slot and was stopped by Lehner. So ... not a sure goal, I guess.
- Habs seem pretty confident this one goal lead will defend itself.
- Somehow this period is only half over. I think everyone at the Bell Centre fell asleep.
- Maybe even the players?
- The Habs have at least. Cody Franson’s 2nd of the year ties the game.
- Everyone's favourite penalty! Time for a shorty.
- Nope. No goals.
- Both goalies making an unreal number of point-blank saves
- Carey FREAKING Price with a game saver with 6 seconds left. Unbelievable.
- Loser point!/
- No matter who’s playing, watching 3-on-3 always feels like you just chugged 12 coffees before going sky-diving.
- What a copier. Lehner with a stunning game-saving glove save a la Carey Price.
- Bogosian banks one off the post and in. Game over. Sabres win./
EOTP 3 Stars
Third star: It’s the new NHL
Second star: Damn foreigners
First star: An accurate synopsis
Habs Highlight of the Night
Paul Byron and Artturi Lehkonen use their speed to open the scoring