Canadiens vs Sabres Top Six Minutes: A bruiser in Buffalo
The Canadiens lose in a tight game against the Buffalo Sabres in their penultimate road game of the year.
For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- Three minutes in and there has been... a lot of hits already. Somebody came out grumpy. Hint: it’s not Montreal!
- And it’s 1-0 for Buffalo as Rasmus Ristolainen snipes one in from the point. Great.
- Canadiens’ first line generating good pressure in the offensive zone but Robin Lehner stands tall.
- It’s so great to have Brendan Gallagher back. Well, he’s been back for a while, but you know, back, back.
- Get off of Carey Price!
- Dwight King scores! Nope, sorry, that was just a post and a red light false alarm. As you were, folks.
- Okay, we’ll ignore those couple of minutes Montreal were kept tightly in their own zone.
- Well, womp. Habs head to the dressing room trailing by one. Let’s pick it up in the second, boys./
- Just a few seconds in and it seems the game has opened way up. Carey Price sprawled across his crease to make a huge save early on.
- And Dwight King just wiped out on his own.
- Montreal is doing fun things in the offensive zone with their top line out on the ice once again. Cue the Alexander Radulov appreciation point?
- Falk tries to instigate Andrew Shaw at the whistle. Shaw behaves.
- Flynn’s one timer bangs off the post. It’s gonna happen soon, guys.
- An unidentified Buffalo skater just got absolutely sandwiched.
- No worries. I would definitely follow up decent Montreal pressure by a goal against. 2-0 Buffalo. Sigh.
- Thank you, Carey! Price steers away a Tyler Ennis shot as he came speeding down the middle.
- Oh, boy. Buffalo is really laying it on late in the second.
- If the early period showcased an open game, we must have reached a gaping point by now. So much speed. So many chances./
- Alright, boys. If there’s any time to start scoring goals, I think now would be the opportune time.
- TOMAS PLEKANEC HEARD MY PLEA! 2-1 with a lot of time to go. That’s 10 for Pleky.
- Okay, this team needs to stop gifting breakaways to Tyler Ennis.
- Doesn’t matter. Had Carey.
- Please see the above.
- Alexei Emelin hasn’t come back from the dressing room? Oh dear.
- Ristolainen gets two minutes for being rude to Brendan Gallagher. Serves him right. Finally a powerplay in this game!
- Welp. Outside of Nikita Nesterov’s stick exploding, not a whole heck of a lot happened on that man advantage.
- Oy, vey. The passes just aren’t connecting this evening, are they?
- And on that positive note, Carey Price has skated to the bench to bring on the extra attacker.
- The Sabres have iced the puck 3,834 times in the last 3 seconds.
- Habs lose 2-1./
EOTP 3 Stars
Second star: For a time, there was hope
First star: That’s the spirit!
Habs Highlight of the Night
Byron and Radulov set up Plekanec for a great goal.