Canadiens vs. Lightning Top Six Minutes: Streak busting good times
Captain Pacioretty breaks his drought and Price shines in victory
For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- 28th ranked team on a five game losing streak against the 1st overall team. The conditions are just right for an upset I think.
- Mikhail Sergachev is playing his 40th game for the Lightning this year, which means that the Habs keep that second round pick, so that means that Bergevin wins?
- Jacob de la Rose was a healthy scratch for practically an entire month, so it makes sense to throw him out there against the best team in the League. Daniel Carr takes a seat to think about what he’s done.
- Brett Lernout is back with the Rocket, so with Weber injured the Habs only have six healthy defencemen. I bet that Nicolas Deslauriers is hoping that everyone forgot that he played a game on defence for the Laval Rocket this season./
- Max Pacioretty’s streak of forcing opposing goalies make incredible saves is safe.
- Kucherov misses a wide open net off a two-on-one. Everyone gets one. The Habs should probably cover him from now on.
- Habs are on fire at the start of this game.
- This first period is flying by. You know what they say, time flies when the fans are having fun.
- No pain, no gain: Danault blocks a shot loudly from the point on a penalty kill, drops to a knee, then gets up and clears the puck. ::heart emoji::
- The Habs have controlled the play with numerous odd-man rushes thus far.
- Wait, why are all the Tampa Bay guys winking at each other? Wait, are they playing rope-a-dope?
- Hudon gets a partial breakaway while carrying two Lightning players on his back. Not even Maurice Richard can say that he carried two players on his back. Anyways, Hudon didn’t even get a shot on net. He’s no Rocket, but at least he’s not a Rocket.
- ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM (the sound of Paul Byron skating) draws a penalty at the very end of the period to cancel out a Lightning power play./
- GOOOOOOOOOOAL! Sergachev passing the puck directly to Pacioretty, who snaps a puck past Vasilevsky for a Habs goal is the most schadenfreude thing I can think of right now.
- Kucherov tying the game immediately afterwards is the most schadenfreude thing since that last schadenfreude thing.
- Going back to that Pacioretty goal, he dropped out of that goal-celebrating huddle real quick. Looked kind of more angry.
- Nothing is happening.
- Nothing is happening.
- Feels like the possession chart is shifting in Tampa Bay’s favour.
- Doesn’t really feel like the Canadiens have a top line. Their best elements are individual players tonight: Gallagher, Pacioretty, and Byron and the most visible. Each one plays on a different line.
- A three-on-one for the Habs finally wakes up the fans. Vasilevskiy makes the save though. Wow this period is taking forever.
- “Go Habs Go” chants break out as fans begin showing their approval of the effort of the Montreal side. Players look confused.
- Jacob De la Rose playing like he wants to stay in the lineup. Looking good on a line with Deslauriers who always looks like he wants to stay in the lineup.
- NO! RDS don’t show Julien Brisebois on the screen! The fans have momentarily forgotten how apocalyptic everything is./
- Sergachev hurt Gallagher!!
- PRICE makes a monsterous save on Kucherov who had all the time in the world to skate leisurely on a breakaway after Karl Alzner lost the puck at the Lightning blue line.
- True story: I just heard Joe Morrow’s name for the first time this game.
- Habs are getting chances. The line of Pacioretty/Danault/Hudon is starting to set the pace for this game. Each member is a scoring threat. Perhaps I was too quick to judge.
- Joke time: Galchenyuk and Drouin walk into a bar. Galchenyuk says to Drouin. “Hey look, a two-for-one special. What a break!” Drouin says “Nah. I’ll pass.” Both walk out with nothing.
- That was a terrible joke, but so was that two-on-one.
- An exciting third period with some good skating all around. Habs earned that point with hard work./
- Is it Plekanec to start? No?
- Drouin wins the faceoff to start...
- C’mon boys, make me regret that joke.
- PRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!!! GOOD LORD!!!! THAT WAS A HASEK SAVE ON STEROIDS!!!!
- This OT period is wildly entertaining
- Vasilevskiy has makes a big save on Plekanec
- Shootout? Shootout.
- The crowd is totally into this game./
- GOAL! Paul Byron - whips the puck past the goal
- SAVE! Brayden Point - Price flashes the leather lobster
- SAVE! Jonathan Drouin - ran out of room as Vasilevskiy followed him the whole way
- MISS! Kucherov - misses blocker side on Price
- SAVE! Pacioretty - tried to go five-hole, but legs were closed
- MISS! Stamkos - nothing!
- HABS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BREATHE IT IN PEOPLE!!!!!!!!/
Highlight of the night
Mikhail Sergachev turnover goes to Max Pacioretty who FINALLY gets one. #Habs pic.twitter.com/rXFfiKMWmG— Jared Book (@jaredbook) January 5, 2018