Canadiens @ Maple Leafs Top Six Minutes: Habs control the game, but fall in OT
Leafs defeat the Habs in 3-2 in overtime, Kotkaniemi gets first NHL point.
For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- It’s the first (game) of the monthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Better yet, it’s the first (game) of the year.
- Wow...no Karl Alzner and Tomas Plekanec in the lineup. I still can’t believe this happened.
- I’ve been a huge fan of the Tomas Tatar-Philip Danault partnership since pre-season. I’ll be looking out for them. Oh, and Spicy Kotkaniemi (that’s my personal nickname for him).
- On the side of the Leafs, it’s hard to not salivate at the 1-2-3 centre depth of Matthews-Tavares-Kadri.
- Fort Minor’s Remember the Name plays during the pre-game introductions at the Scotiabank Centre (are people going to seriously call it that or are we going to treat it like how we do the Skydome?)/
Maintenant, voici les alignements de départ pour le match de ce soir à Toronto.— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) October 3, 2018
Now, here are your starters for tonight's game in Toronto. @jpbyron89 - @max_domi - @arsilehkonen @vmete98 - @PetryJ @CP0031 #GoHabsGo
- And away...we...GO.
- Kotkaniemi gets tripped during incidental contact on his first real NHL shift. Had he not, he might’ve finished a super nice deke around a defender. Here’s a fun fact about him courtesy of Scort Malta.
- Habs are more dangerous, and are a much quicker team four minutes in. But they were also the better team to start in their previous (pre-season) game against them. The Leafs won that game.
- John Tavares went 1-on-1 versus Jordie Benn and didn’t score.
- The best line on right now is the Domi line.
- Arturri Lehkonen scores the first goal of the game off a wrap-around! 1-0 Canadiens! Byron and Domi get assists as well! /
Arturri Lehkonen has the first #Habs goal of the year, and a celly that Nic Deslauriers would appreciate pic.twitter.com/zEUlDFEjY7— Scott Matla (@scottmatla) October 3, 2018
- I have to say, that Auston Matthews shot that went bardown. N-A-S-T-Y. 1-1. /
- To the second we go!
- Leafs power play is back at it. They got a goal the first time around, what about the second?
- Not today, says Carey Price. He’s made a few great saves so far.
- Domi trips up Nazem Kadri, takes a penalty. Or does he?
- Tie Domi, Max’s dad, is in the house, but he’s not wearing a Habs jersey.
- Carey Price, yet again, makes a sensational save.
- John Tavares scores his first official goal as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs. 2-1 Leafs.
- Andrew Shaw ties the game at two, but more importantly...Jesperi Kotkaniemi has his first NHL point with an assist. Max Domi has two assists! /
- Au troisième!
- Power play time pour le Canadien with 14 minutes to play. Former Hab Ron Hainsey gets called.
- 1 for 7 in faceoffs, Jesperi Kotkaniemi. That’s not a great stat on an otherwise memorable night for Kotkaniemi, who has his first NHL point.
- Max Domi just missed a WIDE open net. Would’ve capped off a banner night for him.
- Are we getting free hockey? As the seconds wind down on this third period? Sure looks like it.
- Carey Price, again. So good. /
- Well, it turns out the Leafs’ skill works well in the 3-on-3 period./
Highlight of the night
A game-tying goal, and a first point for Jesperi Kotkaniemi
EOTP 3 Stars
3) We may have to adopt this
2) Although Benn was surprisingly effective tonight. Where did that come from?
1) At least we’re all having fun.