Brian Gionta unlikely to start the season? (and other links)
Your collection of fine links for this morning.
With Andrew gone, I'm mailing in today's intro. Enjoy the links.
Habs News and Analysis
- Roster news is relatively light today. Brian Gionta is not expected to participate in Montreal's scrimmages today or tomorrow while Max Pacioretty feels his shoulder, which was separated during Game 1 against Ottawa, is 100%.
- Fitness testing is shitty, especially so when you're a professional athlete. The Globe and Mail's Sean Gordon has coverage from the first day of Habs training camp in Brossard, Quebec. Enclosed in the article are reactions from a cocky Tomas Plekanec and a description of P.K. Subban's statuesque bod. Check it out!
- CTV Montreal has posted a video feature from the first day of camp, jam packed with player interviews.
- Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty breaks down the art and science of the nutritional "cheat day", along with a whole host of other topics, with the Gazette's Dave Stubbs.
General News and Analysis
- The NHL Players Association have not agreed to a rule change that would ban the spin-o-rama from the shootout. The spin is in, which pleases Lars Eller to no end.
- Talks between Alex Pietrangelo's camp and the St. Louis Blues have broken down according to GM Doug Armstrong. With no arbitration deadline forcing either side's hand, Pietrangelo could sit out of training camp for the foreseeable future.
- Joni Pitkanen will miss the entire upcoming season for the Carolina Hurricanes as he rehabs a broken left heel. Hurricanes blogger Corey Sznajder describes Pitkanen as play driver and the only true "puck-mover" on the Hurricanes blue-line. Joni will certainly be missed in Raleigh.
- The Buffalo Sabres have signed 23-year-old RFA centre Cody Hodgson a six-year, $25 million contract. Here's the first reaction to the deal by the folks over at Die by the Blade.
- Jo Innes from Backhand Shelf has a brief history of Darcy Tucker-related violence.
- According to TSN's Bob McKenzie and The Edmonton Journal's Joanne Ireland, the Oilers are in the market for an enforcer with a skill set somewhere between "player" and "heavyweight." They already have Mike Brown in the NHL and Ben Eager in the AHL, but you can never too many cement trucks.
- Matchsticks and Gasoline's arii provides Flames fans with ways to stay invested in the team for the 2013-2014 season. arii notes that an appreciation for unintentional comedy and celebration of TJ Galiardi should help most Calgarians out.
- How do realtors help? By providing divisional previews, of course! Lighthouse Hockey's PGI gets the lowdown on the new Atlantic division from Daniel Alfredsson's other agent.
- RobbTufts over at St. Louis Game Time reviews Rob Vollman's Hockey Abstract, which is a handsome tome of hockey statistics and analysis. Tufts says that "data geeks" and "the typical hockey fan" can all get something out of the Abstract.
EOTP News and Archive Material
- YouTuber MrH4bs has posted a Canadiens pump up video for the 2013-2014 season that's well worth checking out.