I don’t know who told the Montreal Canadiens it was a good idea to sit on a one goal lead, but they certainly did the other night in Edmonton. I definitely don’t know who told them it was a good idea to do that against the Edmonton Oilers, who happen to have a few good players.
They say that a two goal lead is the worst lead in hockey, so a one goal lead basically isn’t even a lead. I swear if they do that again tonight and I stay up until 1 am watching them do it, I’ll stop watching this team.
Stop watching until Friday, anyways. Who am I kidding.
- Maybe the secret against Edmonton is to allow their four goals in the first period instead of the third. Lull them into a false sense of security or something
- The alternative is to score four which we know they are not going to do.
- Alex Chiasson concussed Carey Price, so Corey Perry tried to concuss him back. He did not succeed but some punches were thrown.
- Jon Merrill almost scored in his first game. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
- Jon Merrill looks like the type of dude who throws hand grenades at random shit in his back yard.
- I’d like to be friends with Jon Merrill.
- Joel Edmundson now having some words with Chiasson. He’s basically going to have to fight half the Habs roster at this point.
- Shots are 12-5 Habs so of course the first goal of the game will be by the Oilers, I’m guessing some time in the final 10 seconds of the period.
- ORRRRRR the Habs could get a last minute goal for the first time ever.
- Jesperi Kotkaniemi with a mind bending pass to Artturi Lehkonen. All Finnish, Extra Finnish. 1-0 Habs after one.
- Just avoid allowing Edmonton back into the game.
- Or allow Connor McDavid to put his stamp on this period... 1-1 and here we go again.
- JOSH ANDERSON. He cares not for McDavid’s stamp and will simply place his own stamp firmly above that of McDavid. 2-1 Habs.
- Connor McDavid made a beautiful pass. Just gorgeous. The only problem for him is it was to Kris Russell. Imagine a relay race and Usain Bolt hands the baton off to Douglas Murray.
- Joel Armia gets called for tripping. He was guilty, but was also tripped himself by Puljujarvi right before the deed.
- It’s only tripping if your team has a lead.
- Or if you’re Mike Smith, apparently. A little four on four action here which sounds terrifying with McJesus over there.
- Nothing happened in the four on four, which is about the best result the Habs could have hoped for.
- If Josh Anderson’s hands could move as fast as the rest of his body does at full speed, McDavid would wish he could be as good as him.
- 2-1 after two periods. The only thing left is to find out whether the Habs will again try to sit on their one-goal lead.
- Nick Suzuki gets a steal in the high slot and just can’t put it in.
- At this rate, Nick Suzuki will never score again.
- Connor McElbows finally gets called for one of his little superstar tantrums. Two minutes by yourself to feel shame.
- Someone should barricade the box so he can’t get out. Could buy a little more time while he has to climb out and walk around the covered seats to get back in the action.
- This may be shocking to hear, but the Canadiens did not score on that power play.
- And now the Oilers have a power play because Jake Allen made a save.
- This may be actually shocking to hear, but the Canadiens killed their penalty.
- Leon Draisaitl decides to keep the parade to the box going. Can the Habs do a thing.
- THIS MAY SHOCK YOU TO YOUR CORE, BUT THE CANADIENS ACTUALLY SCORED ON THEIR POWER PLAY.
- We honestly need a go fund me to pay Tyler Toffoli more money because he’s the most underpaid millionaire on the roster right now. 3-1 Habs
- Please don’t sit on this lead...
- Josh Anderson refuses to sit on anything. Power Horse knows only a state of constant gallop.
- CHALLENGE ALERT
- CHALLENGE REFUSED ALERT. GO SIT IN THE BOX AND WATCH POWER HORSE GO TO WORK, CONNOR. 4-1.
- Well Jonathan Drouin took a four minute high sticking penalty immediately, so that power play was super long.
- Ryan Nugent Hopkins makes it 4-2. Do we really need to worry about three goal leads as well?
- Jesse Puljujarvi makes it 4-3. DO WE SERIOUSLY HAVE TO DO THIS??
- Power Horse almost got the hat trick into an empty net but his stick broke. Alas, the Habs hold on.
- Apparently three goal leads can be somewhat sat on.
EOTP 3 Stars of the night
3) Jon Merrill’s mullet whips per 60 is very high.
2) Finnyest Finn to ever Finnish.