For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- Hockey’s back!!
- So, how about that Romanov kid. He might just live up to all the hype if he keeps this up.
- Oh, Carey, how I’ve missed those saves. Like, a lot.
- Evans flattens Marner. I feel like we could be friends, Jake.
- Suzuki with an oh-so-close chance.
- The Habs are known for being a speedy bunch, but this group is flying.
- We’re heading to the first power play of the season after Bogosian gets called for tripping Kotkaniemi.
- Possession for the majority of the power play and four shots on goal. I’m going to call that progress.
- Price is bopping his head to the Chili Peppers. I taking this as a good sign. He’s good to go.
- And back to the power play we go. We’ll call the first one practice.
- Practice makes perfect! Slick Suzuki opens the scoring with one sweet, sweet, sweet power-play goal!
- Price keeps the lead with another beauty of a save.
- Until Nylander sneaks one up and over to tie it up.
- Welcome to the team, Anderson! Oh, and thanks for giving us back the lead.
- Simmons must be nervous in a Leafs uniform because that shot would get him a participation ribbon at best.
- Danault gets a nasty stick to the face and heads to the bench. Don’t worry, the Leafs didn’t get a penalty or anything.
- At least they got called for holding so off to the power play we go again.
- Not sure what Drouin was doing there. Slowed way down when he started to deke in front of the net. Don’t overthink it Drou.
- Say it with me for the first time in 2021... TATAARRR with a power-play goal to make it 3-0.
- With that Romanov kid picking up his first assist.
- We have a bouncing Gally in front of the net. It’s all good, he can handle the four blue players surrounding him.
- The first glove drop of the season goes to Chiarot and Simmons. With the Leafs coming away with their first power play.
- Simmons, you’re a brave man knocking down Weber like that when he’s on a partial break.
- You need to bug right off, Nylander.
- Suzuki and Weber head to the box. Give the Leafs a two-man advantage while we’re up by one. Why not.
- And Tavares takes advantage and ties it up.
- So, here’s the plan — stop taking penalties. They’re not our friends.
- Chiarot starts his shift with a shot block that pings off his ribs and sends him to the bench.
- Anderson outskates Tavares to notch his second goal of the night and the go ahead goal to boot!
- Anderson just inches away from a hat trick.
- Suzuki with the dangle of all dangles that has the Leafs scratching their heads.
Lmao Nick Suzuki is just unfair pic.twitter.com/kBEi4fgYgZ— Scott Matla (@scottmatla) January 14, 2021
- Vesey scoops up the puck after it bounces off the ref. Seriously ref, isn’t getting out of the way reffing 101?
- I have a sneaking suspicion we’re going to see a lot of OT games this season.
- Danault with a slow-mo breakaway that results in nothing.
- Rielly puts an end to the battle and the game.
EOTP 3 Stars
3. Great debut from The Tsar
2. Gotta spend those fees on something
1. To the rest of the NHL: “Hi everybody!”