For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
I have to level with everyone right off the jump here; I don’t want to be here. I love this team, but sitting on the cusp of a second eight-game losing streak is just beyond painful. I do feel a sense of duty as a long time EOTP man to provide you all with some form of comic relief, but what am I doing?
WHAT AM I DOING???
OH YEAH, THAT’S RIGHT I’M DOING MEEEE... I’M DOING MEEEE...
I’M LIVIN LIFE RIGHT NOW MAAAN AND THIS WHAT IMMA DO TIL IT’S OOOOVER, TIL IT’S OOOOVER.
But it’s far from over.
- Those were Drake lyrics. Drizzy recognize Drizzy
- Early power play for the Canadiens. By god that’s Ilya Kovalchuk music!
- I thought it would at least be Nick Suzuki’s music, but apparently it’s nobody’s music because the Habs did less than nothing.
- At the end of that nothing, Alex Chiasson gets a two-on-one with Conor McDavid... THE Conor fucking McDavid... And Chiasson decides to go hero mode, shoots, and misses the net.
- The balls on that guy. Thanks, I guess?
- Darnell Nurse with a blatant hook, ref ignores it. Jeff Petry with a blatant hook, same ref immediately throws his arm up. How could something so familiar be so strange?
- Phillip Danault with the shot. Stopped. PHIL DA TRILL ON THE REBOUND THOUGH??? 1-0.
- I was trying to pour a beer when that happened.
- It feels like a matter of time before McDavid does a McDavid and ruins this lead.
- Jesperi Kotkaniemi with the LAZER though. 2-0 and I am super hype for him with all the flack he’s been taking online lately.
- That’s the stuff, KK.
- Riley Sheahan once got insanely drunk and got caught driving around in a teletubby costume in Michigan. Google it if you don’t believe me. He also just scored so it’s 2-1.
- If you told me that a game featuring Conor McDavid and the defensively challenged Montreal Canadiens would be only 2-1 in the second period I would have slapped the shit out of you yesterday.
- Today I am a little happier that this is the case because the alternative is a barn burner in which my fellow fans might actually burn the barn down.
- Just hold on, we’re going home.
- To the third, at least.
- Less than two minutes into the frame, Danault goes off for hooking McDavid. Bold strategy to give the league’s best power play a chance early in the third...
- Of course. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and it’s 2-2.
- That last GIF is just a perfect example of how most habs fans feel, most of the time.
- As good, or mediocre, as the Habs were for two periods, they’ve apparently decided to stop playing. Super bold strategy when the best player in the world is on the other side.
- And there it is. Alex Chiasson. 3-2 Oilers.
- Add an empty netter, and that’s it, put on the saddest Drake song you can think of, and pray to the hockey gods that Montreal somehow wins the lottery this summer.
EOTP 3 Stars
3) A nice 1-0 lead!
2) And a great 2-0 lead!
1) But hard to get to three when this is the best you can do.