For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
Ah, the Edmonton Oilers. A team that has had more first-overall picks in the last decade than the Montreal Canadiens have had top-10 picks. A team that inexplicably has failed to be remotely respectable despite all these picks.
The Edmonton Oilers are like Target’s expansion into Canada. They’re so poorly managed it’s a wonder they don’t just pack up and leave the country. Remember when the Habs got Jeff Petry from them for a bag of pucks and some magic beans? Lol, because I know I do.
But they have Connor McDavid. And Leon Draisaitl. Their backs must be sore as all hell from carrying their team.
God damn are those two good. Here we go.
- The Oilers are apparently going to skate Draisaitl and McDavid together tonight. That’s the definition of all your eggs in one basket.
- Well... Took just over a minute for that basket to produce a goal... McDavid to Draisaitl and it’s 1-0 for the Oilers.
- Edmonton already has last change, so you know icing the puck is a terrible idea, but the Habs seem to be employing it as a strategy. Definitely stop doing that.
- Taking penalties is also a terrible idea against the Oilers. Jordan Weal did it anyways.
- Upon further review, that call looked extremely weak. Some more excellent NHL officiating for ya.
- The Habs killed the penalty? Against the Oilers of all teams? And Had the best scoring chance of the two minutes? Am I in the twilight zone?
- This is the first time I’m hearing the name Josh Archibald, and I can tell I don’t like him. 2-0 Oilers.
- SOMEHOW Phillip Danault is off to the box for interference, A.K.A. being in the way of another player...
- Oh my... Former Oiler Jeff Petry scores shorthanded and it’s 2-1!!
- So that’s the strategy then? We take all the penalties possible and score shorthanded? Can’t say I love it, but who am I to argue with the results.
- Remember when the Habs traded a bag of pucks and some magic beans to the Oilers for Jeff Petry??? Second time I’m mentioning it, but it’s very relevant now.
- Between periods, you’d have been wise to avoid stats pages, because they painted a very bleak picture for the Habs. I didn’t take that advice and am therefore sad.
- Would you look at that, the Habs get a power play!
- If I’m being honest that call was a little weak, too. I am nothing if not consistent with my complaining about refs.
- JEFF PETRY DOES IT AGAIN!!!!
- Wait, actually Danault got a tip on that, but I feel like leaving that last bullet point because it’s 2-2 and Petry had a say in it.
- And I don’t even feel a little bad for the Oilers because they could have Petry if not for their own ineptitude.
- Would you look at that, another absurd call by the officials! This time against Montreal.
- This was the strategy though, remember, we want the shorthanded opportunities.
- Not like that, for fuck’s sake... McDavid makes it 3-2
- I expect a make-up call for that, refs.
- Guess it won’t come until the third...
- Need to get the goal back quick here.
- Max Domi whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????
- 3-3 and dear lord was that a beautiful goal. Apparently Domi wants everyone to know he can do McDavid-esque things.
- Garry Galley just gave the fucking greatest analysis ever by stating that seven game road trips can be tough. Groundbreaking stuff.
- Aaaaand the Oilers are back on the power play. That was literally a hip check by Cale Fleury but sure, let’s say it’s tripping.
- As if we needed proof these refs don’t know what they’re doing, they called a goal because the goal horn went off. It hit the crossbar. Never went in. If the crowd reacts hard enough to a shot will they just give goals for that?
- Habs killed the penalty, but of course the Oilers come right back down and take the lead. Riley Sheahan and it’s 4-3.
- Now I like to complain about the officials, but Nick Cousins just committed clear interference for aaaaabsolutely zero reason. And he looked at the ref before doing it. Apparently Cousins does not want to win tonight. Good going.
- They killed it off, but Cousins just robbed his own team of two vital minutes where they really needed a goal. Now they have less time to get the goal they already needed.
- Well, goodnight. I hate everything.
EOTP 3 Stars
3) Sensible way to watch Habs games. Particularly of the road variety.
2) Tried and true, except in Edmonton.
- This has to make you feel better. Also, I miss Jesperi Kotkaniemi.