For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
How about that eight game losing streak, eh? Good thing that debacle is over. I mean, it hasn’t exactly been smooth sailing since getting out of that whole thing, but at least some wins have happened since, right?
In fact, as this game is about to get underway, it might interest you to know that the Flyers are beating the absolute shit out of the Sabres. Which means, and this is not a joke, the Montreal Canadiens can take sole possession of second place in the Atlantic with a win tonight.
- You won’t hear me say this often about jerseys that aren’t the Tricolore, but the Flames are wearing some nice sweaters tonight. If I had to wear another NHL jersey I’d have to go with one of those
- Gonna go vomit now, thanks Calgary.
- Mikael Backlund starting shit with Max Domi seems like a terrible idea for the Swede. You don’t want that smoke, Mikael.
- 1-0 Flames. The slightly more tolerable of the Tkachuk brothers, Matthew Tkachuk, is left completely alone in front.
- His name is Matt, so I’m always going to side with my bretheren over some dickhead named Brady.
- They can both catch a boat to fuckoffity land though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Nick Cousins gets a scoring chance, and he elects for a weak backhand that a Peewee goaltender could stop. It was basically a weak pass on net.
- Cousins came to play though. Might score if he can take the damn puck to the forehand and actually shoot.
- I’ll forgive Cousins a lot more for his weak shot than Mikey Reilly wasting a beautiful shooting lane by shooting directly at the crest of David Rittich’s jersey.
- Also, Reilly, can you change your damn name to Mike, or Michael? You’re a grown ass man.
- 2-0 Flames. Elias Lindholm. On the power play. If the Habs could kill a penalty to save their lives, that would be great.
- If Brendan Gallagher could not get hit by a puck and limp his way to the bench for one damn game, I’d love that.
- Shots are 17-13 for the Habs, so it’s pretty sad that they can’t have one measly goal.
- Tkachuk just tried to go between his legs for a shot, when in reality he would have been better off with a backhander.
- That’s honestly just an insult to the Habs that he thought he could pull that off. Carey Price said fuck off.
- 2-1 AND IT GOES IN FROM A RIDICULOUS ANGLE!!!
- Brendan Gallagher, for his part, was also insulting to the Flames by thinking he could pull that off. Difference is, he actually did.
- Joel Armia just scored, but there’s a challenge and that was definitely offside.
- THE REFS SAY IT ISN’T!!! 2-2 AND WE HAVE A GAME, FOLKS!!!!!
- That was a ridiculous shot from Armia. Offside or not, that just hit different.
- I dump on the officials all the time, and honestly I have to dump on them some more. To me that was offside. I will accept the goal on behalf of Habs fans as karma for the no-goal call in Vancouver the other night.
- A power play goal would have been nice on two opportunities, just saying.
- Shots now 30-17 for the Habs. I’d like some more goals though, please.
- Well Cale Fleury just spun Milan Lucic around like a top. Probably a penalty, but the high-quality NHL officials missed it.
- Lucic is going to do something really dumb in retaliation for that.
- Nick Cousins just went down hard. The absolute lack of a quality replay prevents me from determining what caused it.
- I blame Lucic, because why not.
- Four-on-four alert!!
- Aaaaaaaaaaaaand Calgary has the lead back. 3-2 thanks to Oliver Kylington. First of the year for him. Of course against the Habs.
- I want to die.
- ET LE BUUUUUUT. NICK SUZUKI. 3-3.
- Big Nick Energy, man. He was very deserving of that. He probably deserves a hatty tonight, but alas the hockey gods don’t give a fuck about what you deserve.
- HOOOOOOOOOO my god, Carey Price just made a ridiculous blocker save.
- He’s still your mom’s favourite player.
- This game was boring for the better part of the first period. It came around nicely.
- YET. ANOTHER. CAREY. PRICE. ROBBERY.
- It is way too late for me to be this hype. Don’t fuck with me, Habs.
- Given the result of the four-on-four earlier, I don’t like the idea of three-on-three at all.
- Max Domi literally took the puck from Rittich and somehow was stopped on the ensuing attempt.
- Habs are basically playing keep away here without really shooting.
- Please do the shooting.
- MAX DOMI DOES THE SHOOTING AND THE MONTREAL CANADIENS ARE IN SECOND PLACE IN THE ATLANTIC DIVISION!!!
EOTP 3 Stars of the night
3) Shutouts are cool. Shame he didn’t get a shutout.
2) Dutch Gretzky is the GOAT of pissing off Milan Lucic. Shame he wasn’t out there.
1) BIG NICK ENERGY