Montreal Canadiens news and notes
- Max Domi says Nick Suzuki and Andrew Shaw share similar traits. [Montreal Gazette]
- A captain’s reunion is scheduled for the team’s 110th anniversary on December 3rd. [Montreal Canadiens]
- The Canadiens’ system is failing them at exactly the same point that it did last season. [The Athletic]
- The Laval Rocket’s annual Hockey Fights Cancer game raised over $16,560 in the fight against pediatric cancer. [Laval Rocket]
- Rhett Pitlick has been traded to the Muskegon Lumberjacks.
Big trade in the USHL as Rhett Pitlick (MTL) goes to Muskegon. Should fit in very well there. https://t.co/8wKGuB5OZY— Chris Peters (@chrismpeters) November 26, 2019
- Ex-Montreal and ex-Toronto players, led by Marie-Philip Poulin and Natalie Spooner, will face off on December 20th.
The Caroline Ouellette Girls Hockey Celebration is proud to present a PWHPA Montreal vs Toronto game Friday December 20 7:30pm Dollars-Des-Ormeaux Civic Center. Featuring Olympians Marie-Philip Poulin, Lauriane Rougeau, Mélodie Daoust, Natalie Spooner, Renata Fast, Brianne Jenner pic.twitter.com/fDl6NZ93W5— Celebration Hockey (@CelebrationCaro) November 26, 2019
Around the league and elsewhere
- Following Akim Aliu’s allegations, the Calgary Flames need to decide what to do with Bill Peters. [Sportsnet]
- Aliu’s revelations also encouraged others to come forward.
Per a Hurricanes source -- the player leadership group at the time and other staff members made Ron Francis aware of their concerns about Bill Peters conduct. Obviously - no change was made.— Mark Armstrong (@ArmstrongABC11) November 26, 2019
Former #Canes player Michal Jordan confirms to #TSN that there were "multiple" physical altercations between coach Bill Peters and players in Carolina.— Frank Seravalli (@frank_seravalli) November 26, 2019
"He kicked me pretty hard in the back during a game," Jordan said. "Even the trainers and the other guys saw it."
I have permission to share this message with you all— Daniel Carcillo (@CarBombBoom13) November 27, 2019
Reading this makes my blood boil
This brave young man wants to share his story about the abuse he endured in hockey, in hopes of showing others to not be afraid
Thank you #hockey #abuse pic.twitter.com/OeyInek0dW
- Mitch Marner is encouraging everyone to share their stories if they want to. [Sportsnet]
- The Babcock and Peters incidents could spark a culture shift in the NHL. [TSN]
- Alec Martinez has surgery to repair a radial artery and two superficial radial nerves after a wrist laceration. [TSN]
- How have the Pittsburgh Penguins become one of the league’s best defensive teams? [ProHockeyTalk]
- An oral history of the early days of Alexander Ovechkin in the NHL. [Washington Capitals]
The wide world of sports
- A panel at the World Anti-Doping Agency has recommended that Russia face a four-year ban from global sports and new restrictions on its athletes and teams at next year’s Tokyo Olympics. [New York Times]