For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
The Habs lost another game last night to a team they should probably beat with relative ease. A team far enough behind them in the standings that you’d have expected the score to be the exact opposite of what it ended up being. Infuriating stuff, really.
But the Habs only seem to play like that against teams behind them in the standings. When it comes to legit teams, they seem to elevate their game.
Oh... They’re playing the Ottawa Senators tonight...
Tabarnak, here we go.
- Less than a minute into the game and Victor Mete is going to the box.
- For four minutes... This is starting to smell like last night’s game.
- The Habs almost scored short handed though. Maybe that’s the secret to fixing the penalty kill, just treat it like it’s not that and try really hard to score. Fuck defense.
- Habs actually had more scoring chances in those four minutes than Ottawa did. Watch Ottawa score one by bouncing it off the jumbotron, though.
- Jesperi Kotkaniemi looks like he really wants to score tonight.
- DJ Smith — that’s Ottawa’s coach in case you care, which you shouldn’t — should be first in line to play the Penguin in the next Batman movie.
- Cale Fleury just killed a guy. A clean, but absolutely vicious murder of Vladislav Namestnikov.
Cale Fleury just sent Vladislav Namestnikov into next week. pic.twitter.com/9UMeJZefWq— Scott Matla (@scottmatla) November 21, 2019
- Wow. In all seriousness I hope he’s alright.
- Jeff Petry almost scored...
- Artturi Lehkonen almost scored...
- Craig Anderson is playing annoyingly well in this game. Carey Price is just standing there waiting for something to do. This literally reeks like last night’s game. Please stop it.
- Well, 0-0 after one. 12-3 the shots for the Habs. Please don’t let this be what I think it’s going to be...
- Please don’t make this a repeat of last night...
- NICK SUZUKI SAYS SHUT YOUR FACE, DRIZZY. BIG NICK ENERGY. POWER PLAY GOAL!!
- 1-0 for the good guys, and can I just say, I am a big fan of Suzuki. Thanks, ghost of Pacioretty.
- Prive has faced exactly six shots in the game so far. That’s probably good in terms of the team suppressing shots, but bad in terms of having a warm goaltender.
- Make that seven shots, and Fleury clears the crease by batting it into orbit with his hand. Cale Fleury is quite strong.
- There’s really not much of note happening. You know something bad is probably coming.
- Aaaaaaand Jean-Gabriel Pageau scores. 1-1 even though Ottawa doesn’t even deserve to be watching this game.
- Of course the Habs start really playing again AFTER the goal.
- “Oh shit, we’re not winning anymore. Better start trying again guys.”
- IT IS 9:20 PM EASTERN TIME AND THE SECOND PERIOD IS NOT OVER YET. FUCK YOU, 7:30 START TIMES AND ANYBODY THAT LOVES YOU.
- I know I’m getting old because I typed that last bullet point instinctively.
- 1-1 after two and I don’t think old man Drizzy can stand another loss to a basement dweller. Fix this, this instant, Montreal.
- I’d settle for taking this thing to overtime at this point, as much as that seems like a short sell.
- Tyler Ennis is pissing me off, and the Senators should bench him lest he reduce their chances of getting Alexis Lafreniere.
- You want Lafreniere, Ottawa, which means you don’t want to win this or any other games.
- This is not the win you are looking for. Fuck off.
- Price looks better tonight than he did last night. How can a man, post-30, look better on the second half of a back-to-back?
- Answer: He can’t, unless his name is Carey Price.
- I’m not even 30 yet and I’m tired just watching these games.
- Aaaaaaaand an absolute bullshit delay of game call. Ottawa with an undeserved man advantage in a game they already don’t deserve to be in. This is predictable.
- Ottawa did not score. I still hate that rule and would like to start a petition to have it removed.
- There are only a few minutes left. All you have to do, Habs, is not let Ottawa score.
- Under two minutes now. Just get to overtime.
- I feel like that’s a very low bar against Ottawa, but beggars can’t be choosers.
- A POINT!!!
- I can celebrate a point if I feel like it. I’d like the other one, please.
- Gallagher just about got it. Craig Anderson can really go away any time now.
- Aaaaaand Brady Tkachuk, who has done exactly nothing all night, scores to end the game.
- A point, though, right?
EOTP 3 Stars
3) The least shocking development of the night
2) Did you happen to catch the eyebrow celebration?
1) Perhaps an even bigger honour than the Hall fo Fame, and we’ll take that from tonight