- Chicago Blackhawks and NHL legend Stan Mikita passed away on Tuesday at the age of 78. [Second City Hockey]
- Tributes to Mikita poured in from individuals associated with the Blackhawks, the city of Chicago, and the hockey world as a whole. [Second City Hockey]
- Mikita was one of the few players to spend their entire career with one team, and is the Blackhawks team leader in assists, points, and games played. [TSN]
- Mikita had been battling Lewy Body dementia for several years, a fight documented by Bob McKenzie in 2015. [TSN]
- NHL historian Dave Stubbs remembered the Blackhawks great. [NHL Network (Video)]
- The Canadiens too offered their condolences to an old rival and friend.
We are saddened to hear of the passing of Stan Mikita today. Our sincere condolences go out to the Mikita family and the entire Blackhawks organization. Stan was the epitome of class and a great ambassador for our game. pic.twitter.com/JCAdBRzGUr— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) August 7, 2018
Montreal Canadiens news and notes
- Andrew Shaw offered his thoughts on one of the legendary figures of his first NHL team:
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Mikita family! Stan was always kind to me since the day we met! Rest in piece! https://t.co/CEFke3Onle— Andrew Shaw (@shawz15er) August 8, 2018
- Lukas Vejdemo will play on team North for Stockholm Hockey Week.
Det börjar närma sig uppgörelsen! Nord vs Syd i Stockholm. NHL-spelarna ställs mot varandra i skills och miniturnering. Se vilka som är bäst under Stockholm Hockey Week #SHW #difhockeyse pic.twitter.com/XhYYLtREMj— Djurgården Hockey (@DIFHockeyse) August 7, 2018
- Catching up with Jack Gorniak. [Montreal Canadiens]
- The Canadiens provided Jimmy Chamberlin with a little pre-concert gift.
Around the league and elsewhere
- What players, still un-signed, could earn their way onto NHL rosters through tryouts? [The Hockey News]
- The widespread use (and abuse?) of signing bonuses is sure to be an issue during negotiations for the next CBA. [TSN]
- How can Alex DeBrincat build on a breakout rookie season? [ProHockeyTalk]
- Should the Ottawa Senators trade Erik Karlsson before training camp? [TSN (Audio)]
- Down Goes Brown summarizes the five ways the Senators’ season and the Karlsson saga could play out. [Sportsnet]
- Players selected in the 7th round are the epitome of long shots, but there are a few that make it to the NHL every year. [Pension Plan Puppets]
- More than a decade after his NHL career ended at the hands of Todd Bertuzzi, Steve Moore is dedicating his efforts to raising awareness and funds for concussion research. [The Athletic]
- The Carolina Hurricanes are holding a fan vote to select a new goal song. Personally, there can be only one option. [Carolina Hurricanes]
- Top 25 Under 25 continues around SB Nation: Blueshirt Banter (#15-11), The Cannon (#21: Alexandre Texier), Second City Hockey (#25: Dennis Gilbert), Broad Street Hockey (#21: Taylor Leier), and Pension Plan Puppets (#20: Semyon Der-Arguchintsev).
- Seattle is getting closer to a hockey team. [Forbes]
- Meet Ranger, who is officially training to be a professional service dog for a child with autism.