Montreal Canadiens News and Notes
- After just one season with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Tomas Plekanec will be back in a Habs sweater after signing a one-year contract. [NHL]
- The centerman is happy to be back, and believes the Habs will be in the fight for a playoff spot next season. [NHL]
- Rumour has it that Max Pacioretty isn’t looking for a trade. [Sportsnet]
- After being drafted last weekend, Jesperi Kotkaniemi agreed to a three-year entry-level deal with the Canadiens. [NHL]
- After acquiring Steve Mason on June 30 from the Winnipeg Jets, the Canadiens bought out his $2,733,333 contract on Sunday. [Twitter]
- Zach Fucale is heading to the Golden Knights organization. [Twitter]
- Allan McShane is proud to be a Canadian... and a Canadien
- Marc Bergevin says that Julien is locked in for the long haul. Let’s hope the season doesn’t start off badly. [Montreal Gazette]
- Bergevin continues to hold on tight to the purse strings.
"The phone is open 24/7... But, I'm not going to spend money just to spend money." - Marc Bergevin on signing free agents going forward #GoHabsGo— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) July 1, 2018
- The 2018 development camp wrapped up on Sunday.
Around the League and Elsewhere
- Well, the John Tavares saga is over after he signed a seven-year, $77 million deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs on Sunday. [NHL]
- After which, he thanked his fans for their dedication, knowing his decision may pain some.
- An $88 million deal will see Drew Doughty playing with the Kings through to the 2026-27 season. [NHL]
- Former Montreal Canadiens goaltender, Jaroslav Halak, is now a former Islanders goaltender after signing a two-year contract with the Boston Bruins. [Sportsnet]
- Instead of becoming a free agent, Ryan McDonagh signed a seven-year extension with the Tampa Bay Lightning. [NHL]
- Edmonton Oilers GM, Peter Chiarelli, showed some pretty fancy footwork on a very tight budget during free agency. [Sportsnet]