Montreal Canadiens news and notes
- A much deeper look at “The Trade,” indicating the Canadiens had interest in Shea Weber long before the deal went down. [The Athletic]
- As P.K. Subban is set to return to the city he once called home, it’s a harsh reminder for Marc Bergevin of the mistakes he’s made at the helm of the Canadiens. [Sportsnet]
- Jeff Petry has stepped into Weber’s shoes admirably, and teammates Karl Alzner and Artturi Lehkonen are appreciative of his efforts. [Sporting News]
- Nathalie Gabriel decided to work on some Canadiens-themed snowshoes during her admission to hospital to undergo chemotherapy. With some persistence, the Innu woman got to present her gift to Carey Price, whom she describes as “a source of hope for our young people,” after a recent Habs game. [CBC]
- Marc Bergevin took in the New York Rangers ’ game against the Calgary Flames on Friday night.
Marc Bergevin is at MSG taking in Rangers-Flames tonight, according to my vast network of spies. Flames also play at NYI on Sunday and at BOS on Tuesday then don't visit the east coast again before the trade deadline.— Аrpon Basu (@ArponBasu) February 9, 2018
- Max Pacioretty is very much looking forward to the Olympics, even if he can’t be there to represent his country. Brendan Gallagher is happy to cheer on the Canadians in any sport. [Habs TV]
- Markus Eisenschmid is turning what was a trip to North America to work on his development before a return home to Germany into a professional career. [Canadiens.com]
- Les Canadiennes are well represented as Team Canada prepares for another gold medal run.
PyeongChang, Corée du Sud.— Les Canadiennes (@LesCanadiennes) February 9, 2018
Lauriane Rougeau pic.twitter.com/lOgIXO73Qs
Around the league and elsewhere
- Max Domi had a fantastic rookie year, but since then has dropped off, what happened to one of the few bright spots in Arizona? [Sportsnet]
- Everything you could ever possibly want to know about Olympic women’s ice hockey, all in one place. [SBN NHL]
- The Senators signed their general manager to a three-year extension in the midst of a disastrous season. [Silver Seven]
- The Devils have been a surprise this year, but to continue that success they need Pavel Zacha to up his play. [All About The Jersey]
- The Blue Jackets are on a four-game slide, and their penalty kill is a big reason why. [The Cannon]
- Mathew Barzal is good at hockey.