For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- It’s the first (game) of the monthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Better yet, it’s the first (game) of the year.
- Wow...no Karl Alzner and Tomas Plekanec in the lineup. I still can’t believe this happened.
- I’ve been a huge fan of the Tomas Tatar-Philip Danault partnership since pre-season. I’ll be looking out for them. Oh, and Spicy Kotkaniemi (that’s my personal nickname for him).
- On the side of the Leafs, it’s hard to not salivate at the 1-2-3 centre depth of Matthews-Tavares-Kadri.
- Fort Minor’s Remember the Name plays during the pre-game introductions at the Scotiabank Centre (are people going to seriously call it that or are we going to treat it like how we do the Skydome?)
Maintenant, voici les alignements de départ pour le match de ce soir à Toronto.— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) October 3, 2018
Now, here are your starters for tonight's game in Toronto. @jpbyron89 - @max_domi - @arsilehkonen @vmete98 - @PetryJ @CP0031 #GoHabsGo
- And away...we...GO.
- Kotkaniemi gets tripped during incidental contact on his first real NHL shift. Had he not, he might’ve finished a super nice deke around a defender. Here’s a fun fact about him courtesy of Scort Malta.
- Habs are more dangerous, and are a much quicker team four minutes in. But they were also the better team to start in their previous (pre-season) game against them. The Leafs won that game.
- John Tavares went 1-on-1 versus Jordie Benn and didn’t score.
- The best line on right now is the Domi line.
- Arturri Lehkonen scores the first goal of the game off a wrap-around! 1-0 Canadiens! Byron and Domi get assists as well!
- I have to say, that Auston Matthews shot that went bardown. N-A-S-T-Y. 1-1.
- To the second we go!
- Leafs power play is back at it. They got a goal the first time around, what about the second?
- Not today, says Carey Price. He’s made a few great saves so far.
- Domi trips up Nazem Kadri, takes a penalty. Or does he?
- Tie Domi, Max’s dad, is in the house, but he’s not wearing a Habs jersey.
- Carey Price, yet again, makes a sensational save.
- John Tavares scores his first official goal as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs. 2-1 Leafs.
- Andrew Shaw ties the game at two, but more importantly...Jesperi Kotkaniemi has his first NHL point with an assist. Max Domi has two assists!
- Au troisième!
- Power play time pour le Canadien with 14 minutes to play. Former Hab Ron Hainsey gets called.
- 1 for 7 in faceoffs, Jesperi Kotkaniemi. That’s not a great stat on an otherwise memorable night for Kotkaniemi, who has his first NHL point.
- Max Domi just missed a WIDE open net. Would’ve capped off a banner night for him.
- Are we getting free hockey? As the seconds wind down on this third period? Sure looks like it.
- Carey Price, again. So good.
- Well, it turns out the Leafs’ skill works well in the 3-on-3 period.
Highlight of the night
A game-tying goal, and a first point for Jesperi Kotkaniemi
EOTP 3 Stars
3) We may have to adopt this
2) Although Benn was surprisingly effective tonight. Where did that come from?
1) At least we’re all having fun.