For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- Sens again. Is the NHL trying to force a rivalry on us here? Will they have to start playing NBC Wednesday nights? Is this even a rivalry?
- Yes. For the sake of tonight’s game, this is a one-night intense rivalry.
- No Methot, which sucks for Ottawa, but is good for us. Wish it wasn’t under such circumstances as his having had a finger forever changed by Sidney Crosby.
- Skate around, anthem done, it’s game time!
- Price frustrating Borowiecki early, that’s good!
- Galchenyuk took a stick to the face, and there was no penalty. That’s stupid, but at least he isn’t hurt.
- Andrew Shaw and Alex Burrows tussling: “I’m more hated!”; “No, I’m more hated!”
- Shaw thought that Galchenyuk was hurt on a dirty play, most likely why he went after Burrows.
- Maybe it’s the intense rivalry.
- Oh yay, a power play! We have a guy with eleven PPGs this year, and he’s on the ice. Promising...
- Did I say eleven? Because I meant twelve! Shea Weber loads up a cannon and launches a puck past everything but the twine. 1-0 Habs!
- Weber’s shot was 101 MPH, that’s just ridiculous. That’s a $1,200 traffic offence if it’s a car. Don’t ask how I know.
- So... the Canadiens can’t get the puck out of their zone anymore. However, Carey Price.
- Anderson was stone cold and had Pacioretty 100% on that break.
- Price. Weber. 1-0 after 20 minutes. Woo!
- Ottawa crushed the Habs on possession through the entire period (29-12 shot attempts), even before Weber’s goal, but Montreal snuck away with a lead. Here’s hoping for a better period but similar results.
- Markov with the up close blast. Skated to the edge of the circle and cranked a massive slapshot. 2-0 Montreal!
- The Byron train is speeding away, this is going to be great.
- OK so no goal, but a penalty drawn, I’ll allow it.
- Weber sometimes doesn’t score. Hunh.... today I learned.
- Markov, however, is the General, and he wanted more than one tonight. Huge slapper from the blue line for his second goal, third point of the night. 3-0.
- Gallagher gets a chance up close - and a free whack on Anderson, but no cigar.
- Wow, we’re not even at the halfway point yet.
- SCRAMBLE! Puck is down somewhere near Price, bodies are flying sticks are swinging, Carey is stretching his toes, but the one thing that doesn’t happen is a Senators goal.
- Ooh, four-on-four hockey...
- It might not stay this way, but for now, the Canadiens are closing the Corsi gap with some score-effects defying pressure.
- D’oh! Nice passing by the Sens cuts the lead to 3-1, the goal goes to Jean-Gabriel Pageau, who one-timed it past Price.
- Burrows to the box to feel shame, Montreal has a great opportunity to take control back.
- Power play will have to be finished in the third, it’s 3-1 after forty minutes at the Bell Centre.
- I know it’s a hot topic and everything, but part of me wishes they wouldn’t keep showing Methot’s severed finger on television. On the internet, I choose to watch it. On TV, anyone can walk by while they are (were) eating.
- Montreal’s PP couldn’t score, and to make matters worse, Plekanec trips Karlsson to send Ottawa to the man advantage.
- Plekanec shows some hand-eye coordination, tipping a Shea Weber shot, but Craig Anderson was up to the task. Both teams trying to add goals at this point.
- Big Mac to the box, this is his second visit tonight.
- Max Pacioretty with a savvy block at the blue line, then a takeaway in the neutral zone. His penalty killing is fun to watch.
- Good lord. Carey Price just keeps doing the impossible. We take him for granted, but the man is unbelievably good at playing hockey.
- L’Arttiste looking like he wants to get in on some G’s to go with his apple.
- Gallagher is down, hurt. Plekanec is tossing a few knuckles. Fredrik Claesson with a dangerous hit on Gally near the boards, but everyone skates away uninjured, which is what counts. That, and a Habs’ power play.
- Under five minutes left, it’s Carey Price time.
- That’s it, folks, Habs back in the win column, beating a playoff-bound team. 3-1 final.
EOTP 3 Stars
Third star: Give it to the hot hand, they say
Second star: Hey, we can laugh about this now. And always at the Leafs
First star: Jack Adams-level strategizing right there
Habs Highlight of the Night
Erik Karlsson sets up Andrei Markov perfectly for his second of the night