Montreal Canadiens news and notes
- If the Habs want to be successful in the long run, they will need to pair Shea Weber with a puck-moving counterpart, and they might want to reconsider Nathan Beaulieu in that spot. And though Brendan Gallagher has struggled offensively this year, like his captain before him, it shouldn’t be long before he gets back in the swing of things. [TSN 690]
- Greg Pateryn finds himself on the trade block with a week to go before the trade deadline.
- Following his RIDICULOUS save in overtime last night, Price tied another Habs legend on the wins list.
- Subject to much criticism, Nathan Beaulieu and Alex Galchenyuk took a couple of days out of the bye week to forget about hockey. [La Presse]
- Ken Brumberger breaks down of Price’s performance against the Winnipeg Jets this past Saturday. [EOTP]
- Claude Julien isn’t comparing his situation to other mid-season takeovers.
Julien said he doesn't look at the coaching changes elsewhere in the NHL this season as examples for him because he came in as an outsider: pic.twitter.com/UY4A8jxYQk— Dan Rosen (@drosennhl) February 21, 2017
- Speaking of the new Habs bench boss, he’s not looking to overwhelm his players. [Yahoo Sports]
- With his powerplay goal last night, Shea Weber finds himself in new company.
Shea Weber passes Scott Niedermayer and Gary Suter, ties Zdeno Chara & Kevin Hatcher for 13th most PP goals by a defenceman all-time with 91— StatsCentre (@StatsCentre) February 22, 2017
- The Canadiens acquired Keegan Lowe in exchange for Philip Samuelsson. [EOTP]
Around the league and elsewhere
- 10-0? That’s nothing. The South Korean women’s hockey team handed the hats to Thailand in a 20-0 win. [The Guardian]
- An analysis of Pittsburgh Penguins GM Jim Rutherford’s trade moves in the last two and a half years. [Pensburgh]
- New claims have been made against the London Knights for selling fraudulent game-worn jerseys [The Star]
- With one week to go before the trade deadline, Defending Big D takes a look at the teams with cap space to burn. [DBD]
- Vladimir Tarasenko received a pretty cool gift for his birthday.