For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- Carey Price gets the night off so it’s up to Antti Niemi to help continue the winning streak.
- The last two times he was in net, he stopped all but two pucks.
- So statistically speaking, if the offense can get at least three past Talbot we’re laughing.
- Grab a cup of Christmas cheer and let’s watch Gallagher, Lehkonen and Shaw tickle the mesh.
- And we’re off!
- Gallagher with a mad rush past the Oilers and straight to the net. Here comes the Gally goal...or not.
- Oh god...somebody catch McDavid! Nevermind, Niemi has it all under control.
- Lernout loses an edge and crashes into the boards but Niemi bails him out.
- Niemi slams the door on Maroon after a turnover.
- So we’ve established that Niemi is playing tonight. Anybody else what to play?
- Lernout continues to have issues. Maybe he’s missing a blade. Hey, if it can happen to Drouin it can happen to anyone.
- The passing prowess of the Oilers + no Hab in position = Stombe opens the scoring on a wide-open net.
- A turnover by Petry causes the puck to end up on McDavid’s stick (we do not want that) and it’s 2-0.
- Oh, Defence where art thou?
- The most impressive move by a Hab this period: Petry tossing the puck 50 feet, from blue line to blue line, and Drouin catching it on the blade of his stick.
- Absolutely nothing came of it. But it was pretty hot.
I can't believe Jonathan Drouin even tried this in a game, nevermind almost get it to work... #Habs pic.twitter.com/ECgIrdtDNZ— Jared Book (@jaredbook) December 24, 2017
- Morrow is the first to head to the sin bin tonight. Congratulations Joe.
- Your reward? A nifty game of tic-tac-toe and Lucic making it 3-0.
- Habs get called for too many men. Oh, sure. Now everyone wants to play.
- Whew. Power play over. Good job
- Alright boys. It’s our time to shine. Let’s show ‘em what our power play unit can do.
- That’s what I’m talking about! Morrow makes up for his sin bin...sin...and makes it 3-1.
- Goalie interference challenge because Shaw was standing next to Talbot.
- We actually beat a challenge? It’s a Christmas miracle!
- Shaw is awarded the goal. That’s one (see Andrea’s pre-game predictions).
- Byron draws a penalty in over a minute in. PP unit, you know what to do.
- Bright side: No shorthanded goals.
- Niemi stops back-to-back shot attempts. Seems he’s the only one not already on the holiday nog.
- Gallagher and Drouin head towards the net. Gallagher with the toe drag but can’t beat Talbot.
- That’s two close calls for Gally. Third time’s a charm. Plus, he’s in my pre-game prediction so it has to happen.
- All Pacioretty wants for Christmas is a goal.
- Niemi heads to the bench with 2:35 left. Uh...he’s been our best player tonight. Let the record show, I’m not on board with this.
- McDavid blocks a shot and heads to the dressing room.
- Empty-netter makes it 4-1. I don’t want to say I told you so but...
- Merry Christmas to all, and to all...we’ll get ‘em next time!
Highlight of the night
Joe Morrow gets the puck to go in the net for the #Habs. Will it stand? Currently under review for interference. pic.twitter.com/tqjwqrUxSi— Jared Book (@jaredbook) December 24, 2017
EOTP 3 Stars
3. Don’t try this at home
2. We all know what’s on Max’s wish list
1. Well the Habs didn’t oblige, but the same to all of you as well!