For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- Alexander Radulov has 35 points in 45 games this season. Tonight is his 200th NHL game.
- Tonight is also Plekanec’s 891st NHL game, putting him 13th on the Habs’ all-time games played list. #GoodLuck
- 64 shots last 3 games which is their second worst total of the season. So.... progress?
- Kirk Muller said he wants to give the Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov line licence to be creative vs focusing on structure. As long as they create goals, I’m in.
- Saturday night in Montreal. Oh baby. Here we go.
- Game starts with a Paul Byron rush because of course. No threat though.
- Radulov crossed up two Sabres so much they crashed into each other.
- Oh right. Gionta.
- Habs feeling so confident in their own end vs the Sabres, they’re chancing passes right into the slot. Maybe don’t, though.
- Okposo attempts a snipe but Carey flashes the leather and says no.
- Radulov to Pacioretty in the crease with Lehner down and hOW DID THAT NOT GO IN?!
- Pacioretty actually made the save himself. THE CAPTAIN DOES IT ALL.
- I was actually in the middle of typing “What a great defensive play by Radulov” when the ref called it a hooking penalty. Alright then.
- Habs start the second with 1:50 left for Paul Byron to get a shorthanded goal.
- Penalty killed!
- Habs put the pressure on the Sabres and come close a couple times but no dice.
- L’ARTTISTE! On a Paul Byron rebound. 1-0 Good Guys!
- Oh look, the Habs forgot about Gionta too. Tie game.
- Price with some flashy saves. Let’s go see if Lehner can do the same.
- Turns out no. Petry shot tipped by Danault! 2-1 Habs!
- Or maybe he can. Lehner with a couple good ones to keep the game within one.
- Whoops. Brain cramp. Emelin to the box.
- Penalty killed again!
- Redmond’s had a couple nice chances. I bet he gets one tonight.
- Habs get a nice chance and then a powerplay!
- Sabres kill it off handily.
- Great chance by Kane early on but the Habs get lucky.
- All Sabres here, though both teams looking like they played last night.
- Plekanec whiffed on a sure goal from the slot and was stopped by Lehner. So ... not a sure goal, I guess.
- Habs seem pretty confident this one goal lead will defend itself.
- Somehow this period is only half over. I think everyone at the Bell Centre fell asleep.
- Maybe even the players?
- The Habs have at least. Cody Franson’s 2nd of the year ties the game.
- Everyone's favourite penalty! Time for a shorty.
- Nope. No goals.
- Both goalies making an unreal number of point-blank saves
- Carey FREAKING Price with a game saver with 6 seconds left. Unbelievable.
- Loser point!
- No matter who’s playing, watching 3-on-3 always feels like you just chugged 12 coffees before going sky-diving.
- What a copier. Lehner with a stunning game-saving glove save a la Carey Price.
- Bogosian banks one off the post and in. Game over. Sabres win.
EOTP 3 Stars
Third star: It’s the new NHL
Second star: Damn foreigners
First star: An accurate synopsis
Habs Highlight of the Night
Paul Byron and Artturi Lehkonen use their speed to open the scoring