Montreal Canadiens news and notes
- Max Pacioretty, Shea Weber are just a couple of Canadiens who have endured a bit of a lull this season, and it seems that Carey Price might be the latest victims of a slump, especially when we look at his numbers on the penalty kill. [TSN 690]
- Charles Hudon took a little one out for their first skate.
- One month ago, les Canadiennes played an historic game at the Bell Centre to face off against the Calgary Inferno for the 2016 Heritage Classic. [EOTP]
- The Habs can manage a few odd injuries here and there, even to star forward Alex Galchenyuk, but protecting Carey Price is of utmost importance, and this team’s defense will need to step up and stand up for their goaltender. [JDM]
- Arpon Basu breaks down the Habs 5v5 numbers in the last month.
Habs 5v5 numbers since Dec 5 (score and venue adjusted, via @CorsicaHockey)— Аrpon Basu (@ArponBasu) January 10, 2017
57.82 CF%: 1st
64.68 GF%: 1st
60.98 xGF%: 1st
63.79 SCF%: 1st
- Comparing a goaltender to a defenseman is like comparing apples and oranges, but if we had to pick whether Carey Price or Alex Ovechkin was more valuable to his team, which would you choose? [ESPN]
- Paul Byron congratulates his teammates and coach on being selected to attend the 2017 All Star Game.
Congrats to @CP0031 Webby and Mike! Well deserved! https://t.co/U2nrfdFESC— Paul Byron (@jpbyron89) January 10, 2017
- If the Canadiens are “all in” this season, how much sense does a Tomas Plekanec trade make if he’s Michel Therrien’s most trusted defensive centreman? And what are the reasons behind Carey Price’s “outbursts” this season? [Sportsnet]
- With a two-time Olympic gold medalist for an older sister and three siblings who played university hockey, you can definitely say that hockey is very much a family sport for the Jonhston’s. [Gazette]
Around the league and elsewhere
- If by chance you have a defenseman to spare, Steve Yzerman wants to chat with you.
Trade speculation from McKenzie: Yzerman willing to trade "anybody" to help Bolts on D https://t.co/iNBKHpVdT4 pic.twitter.com/1KOs9hRvcc— Achariya (@tanyarezak) January 10, 2017
- In Henrik Lundqvist’s letter to his younger self, he reminds himself that even though he’ll let in 18 goals in his second game, making a single save is what makes it all worth it. [Player’s Tribune]
- Brianna Laing sports patches in support of her sister, Denna, on her new sweater.
Brianna Laing wears the new @HarvardWHockey sweaters featuring patches for her sister @dlaing14 pic.twitter.com/RQMb3yJId3— Melissa Wade (@HockeyPhotos) January 11, 2017
- The jerseys for the KHL All Star Game are maybe just a tad cooler than ours. [Yahoo Sports]
- Retirement? Please. Maybe in 11 years, when Jaromir Jagr hits 55. Until then, he’s not slowing down. [Yahoo Sports]
- WWE wrestler Brock Lesnar made a big no-no in the Jets’ locker room on Monday night. [The Score]
- Using adjusted goal totals, Alex Ovechkin ranks first among all players past and present with a minimum of 500 goals. That’s not too shabby for someone who hasn’t even bagged 1,000 games yet and is just one away from 1,000 career points. [TSN]