For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- The big news was the announcement that Alex Galchenyuk would be centring Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher. Too little, too late - but it is nice to see the three reconnected.
- Paul Maurice chatted with Habs' media yesterday, and talked about developing young guys at centre, "As a coach, you look at the centreman, you figure out whether that is truly going to be his natural position, and if it is, you're going to leave him there." Thank you, Paul. Are you perhaps looking to coach in a different Canadian market?
- And speaking of Canada, tonight's match-up is two Canadian teams, both of which will not make the playoffs this season. Here we go!
- Mike Condon looking solid early on, not letting up big rebounds, but Montreal was pinned in their own zone for basically the first four minutes.
- Announcers keep talking about how the Canadiens are 'testing' Galchenyuk at centre. I find this ridiculous for a few reasons: 1. Chucky should have been 'tested' in this position a long, long time ago. And 2. When he was (briefly) last season, he more than proved he is capable. Why is this still even an argument?
- Gallagher took a shot to the right hand and left the ice and I can't breathe. Looks like he's icing it on the bench, smiling like a goofball, as per usual.
- Sitting here and remembering the game last year in Winnipeg. I was bummed because Carey Price wasn't playing. So he hasn't played a game in Winnipeg since October 15, 2013. Unsurprisingly, the Habs haven't won in Winnipeg since October 15, 2013.
- Gallagher is back on the ice, creating chances and trouble. All is right with the world.
- Oh good, Jets fans are going to boo P.K. Subban every time he touches the puck tonight. I was worried we weren't going to be blessed with such nonsense.
- Guess which line is the only one that has looked dangerous whatsoever. Go ahead. Guess.
- Gallagher heads to the dressing room.
- Sven Andrighetto is pretty good, huh. Slick little player, sees the ice well. Sincerely hoping we will continue to see more of him into the next season.
- Sidenote: I LOL every time the announcers call Dustin Byfuglien 'Big Buff.'
- Overall, a pretty subpar period by Montreal who looked slow and a bit sloppy. Not many high quality scoring chances, shots on goal 7-4 in favour of Winnipeg.
- Canadiens announce that Gallagher will not return due to the lower body injury. This has been a season, I tell you.
- Subban tries to be a little too fancy and has a bad turnover in his own zone which leaves Mark Scheifele all alone in front of Condon.
- Hey...guess who got us on the board? Andrighetto (who slotted in on the first line in Gallagher's absence) keeps the puck in the zone, Pacioretty tosses it back to Galchenyuk who finishes with a beautiful shot. We are tied at one.
- Alexei Emelin makes a pretty cool kick save and I can't help but wonder if he would be better off playing soccer.
- Anytime an opposing player gets even remotely close to our goaltender, I tense up. Mathieu Perreault does just that, but Condon hops right up, no worse for wear.
- Morgan Ellis and Greg Pateryn sitting beside one another on the bench is incredibly confusing. They are the same person.
- Mark Barberio makes a nice defensive play on Marko Dano at the end of the period, score remains tied at 1 a piece.
- Okay, maybe this period will be a little bit more exciting.
- I have spent the first five minutes of this period looking at puppy photos on Instagram.
- Welp. Ben Chiarot lets a shot go which is tipped by Andrew Copp in front. Little chance for Condon on that one. Jets lead 2-1.
- Pacioretty gets two shots away before sending it back to Pateryn who lets a shot go which is tipped perfectly in front by Galchenyuk. You are going to want to see a replay of this one. This is Galchenyuk's third 2 goal game in his last six. I have no other word but, 'wow.'
- Aaand that was short lived. Drew Stafford floats a beauty over to Scheifele, Jets up 3-2 with 7 minutes left in the third. Obviously Scheifele didn't want Galchenyuk to keep showing off. Jerk.
- Condon heads to the bench with 1:45 left in the game.
- Scheifele gets the empty netter for his first NHL-career hat trick. This one is over folks, let's head back to Montreal.
EOTP 3 Stars