For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- We were teased with the possibility of having P.K Subban and Sven Andrighetto back to face off against the Detroit Red Wings. We got David Desharnais. 'Cause that's how this season rolls.
- I have to wonder if Subban's "non-serious" neck injury will follow in the steps of the Carey Price debacle?
- Rolie Polie Olie (a.k.a Ben Scrivens) gets the start tonight. Should raise the entertainment value if nothing else.
- Desharnais is taking over center, bumping Michael McCarron to wing, and Andrighetto and Jacob De La Rose are healthy scratches. 'Cause that's how this season rolls.
- The Habs took down the big bad Ducks on Tuesday night. Maybe we'll see them go out on a winning streak and we'll all be, like, "That season wasn't so bad..." Maybe?
- And we're off!
- My happy dance has retired for this season due to lack of use, but in exchange for a good game, I'll give you a hard nod of approval fellas.
- Well...maybe not a hard nod. Don't want to catch that take-no-prisoners injury bug that's been going around.
- Desharnais just back from injury nabs himself a little breakaway and...down he goes.
- A scoring chance for the Habs causes a huge pile up in Detroit's net and has Mrazek diving into the net upside down and pads up.
- So, Plekanec goal or no goal? No goal, but please take a penalty for participating. 'Cause that's how this season rolls.
- Three Habs on one during the power kill and not even a shot on goal.
- *Prediction* - I see the puck getting past Scrivens on his blocker side tonight.
- Short-handed breakaway from the Captain but alas, no luck.
- *Prediction* - I see Pacioretty getting a pretty sweet goal tonight.
- A poor clear by Pateryn + a bad rebound by Scrivens = Riley Sheahan bouncing the puck over Scrivens glove.
- 1-0 for Red Wings. No biggie. This is our jam.
- Big blindside hit on Stefan Matteau by Brendan Smith in center ice and play keeps going. So, the refs were paid off for this game?
- Phillip Danault takes matters into his own hands, dropping the gloves.
- Penalties are four minutes to Danault for roughing and a measly two minutes to Smith. 'Cause that's how this season rolls.
- And with mass confusion around Scrivens in goes the puck to make it 2-0.
- Just twelve seconds later, up pops that blocker side goal I predicted making it a 3-0 game. Time for that Sheahan dude to go away.
- Matteau ended up leaving the game after the
assassination attempthit by Smith.
- Matteau is back and his head is still attached to his shoulders. Bonus!
- Scrivens makes the save but can't handle the rebound and once again, on a power play, Detroit scores with Anthony Mantha making it 4-0. His grandparents are there to see his first NHL goal. Ok, fine. I'll give you that.
- Looked like Andreas Athanasiou was going to quickly follow up but Scrivens made a desperation (cough, cough) save to keep it out.
- Hopefully the Habs had a little power nap during intermission and are good to go now. Five goals is all we need boys.
- BOOM! Plekanec gets back the one he almost had at the start of the game. That's one!
- Come on Pacioretty. I predicted a pretty goal from you. Doesn't have to be pretty. It can be ugly. Lame. Whatever.
- BOOM! That's two! Byron right off Galchenyuk's face-off. That power nap has done wonders.
- No Patches, I said goal not penalty.
- BOOM! Right out of the penalty box. That's the pretty goal I was talkin' 'bout! A one-goal game in just the first half of the period.
- Ummm...Matteau, I don't think you should be fighting after almost getting your head knocked off.
- Mike Brown is out with a lower-body injury. 'Cause that's how this season rolls.
- Lessio hobbles to the bench. Oh, please no...
- Galchenyuk with his first 50 points. Booyah Chucky!
- The Habs were a scrambling hot, hot mess for the middle period but in the third they were mad as hell and not going to take it any more.
- It made for a rare nail-biting finale but not the win. Say it with me...
EOTP 3 Stars
- Tomas Plekanec opens the scoring for the Habs
- Paul Byron cuts the lead to 2
- Max Pacioretty brings the Habs within 1
- Smith hits Stefan Matteau high
- Ben Scrivens makes a nice save on Athanasiou