For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- If Brendan Gallagher is going to score, he’s going to do it in a way you don’t normally score. A minute and a half in he almost potted his second goal in thirty games from behind the icing line, but James Reimer was able to cover it after scrambling along the goal line to find the puck.
- How does Jeff Petry keep finding himself in positions to score? Before last night, he had at least five shots on net in his previous four games, and he gets a blast on net early in this one that gives James Reimer some trouble.
- James Reimer better buckle up. Shea Weber is out to redeem himself and nearly takes his head off with laser from below the point that goes just over the net.
- Get the extra plexiglass ready... The opening goal from Jason Demers at 13:58 goes off Shea Weber’s leg after Montoya had stopped a one-timer. If Weber was out to turn the tide before, he’s going to be at it full force now.
- The Canadiens fourth line gets some momentum going. With all three of Carr, Terry and McCarron flying around it was mayhem and it almost paid off.
- The Habs do come close to tying it in the final minutes of the period and lead in shots on net 15-9 (and 28-15 CF). It’s a good road start with a lot to build on.
- The Habs powerplay:
- Exhibit A: A fruitless, meaningless two minutes that goes nowhere (like their first powerplay in this game, a minute and a half into the second period).
- Exhibit B: A constant bombardment of everything in the Canadiens’ arsenal that leads to a lot of chances, and sometimes goals (like the Habs’ second powerplay a couple minutes later which ended in Max Pacioretty tying it).
- The Panthers powerplay... gives them the lead back moments later with Vincent Trocheck beating Al Montoya with a shot from the faceoff circle.
- All that momentum the Canadiens had going for them in the first period? Gone. The Panthers put up 15 shot attempts in a four minute-span over back-to-back powerplays.
- Make that three penalties in a row against the Habs, this one with just over thirty seconds left in the period.
- Al Montoya is playing a good game tonight. He deserves a win, and hopefully this is one of those times where people get what they deserve.
- The Panthers are sitting back... now would be the perfect time for one of the Habs’ vets to step up and make something happen.
- I’ve always wondered how players always seem to get the benefit of the doubt when they knock the net off in their own zone during a scrambled play. Boys will be boys, I guess.
- Sand. Sun. And Brendan Gallagher scoring the game-tying goal with 2:37 left in the period. It’s a Florida dream.
- Ah overtime. Sudden Death. Next Goal Wins. What a test of nerves and will... DANAULT SCORES to gives the Habs a 3-2 win!
Habs Highlight of the Night:
Al Montoya makes a ridiculous save
EOTP Three Stars:
1. CURSE BROKEN!