For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
The Columbus Blue Jackets are on a 12-game winning streak. No need for that. Let’s put a stop to that right now.
The last time Montoya and I met the Blue Jackets on a Friday night, it didn’t end quite the way we would have liked. Therrien may have said that the Canadiens don’t want redemption, but Big Al and I sure as hell do!
- And we’re off!
- Montoya with the save! Whew, no cannon.
- Barberio is starting to give Beaulieu a run for his money with his flowy locks.
- Three minutes in and we’ve already seen clips of the 10-goal loss twice. Let it go already people.
- A scrimmage in front of Montoya feels promising. I feel the team may have gone in on a Christmas gift for him tonight.
- Pacioretty falls awkwardly after trying to make a hit and is slow to get back to the bench. A grimacing captain does not give me the warm and fuzzies.
- Barberio continues to kick it up a notch, proving why he’s finally been given a permanent spot on the Habs. Oh, wait...
- Radulov runs into...Danault? I’m no hockey guru, but I’m pretty confident in saying that those kind of moves should be saved for the opposing team. Ask Emelin, he’ll tell you.
- Great opportunity by Terry, but Nutivaara gets the stick around him and gets called for hooking. Off to the power play we go.
- Oh good, Patches is back on the ice. * sigh of relief *
- Too many men on the ice guys? Oh, come on. We know you’re excitable Radulov, but please wait your turn.
- A broken play leads to a goal by the Blue Jackets and that godforsaken cannon. *cringes *
- So, Radulov had a very not-so-great opening period.
- I’m officially starting a petition for Barberio to have a permanent spot with the Habs. Who’s with me?
- Mitchell all alone but couldn’t get one past Bobrovsky.
- Seconds later, Brandon Saad goes to the side of the net to make it 2-0. * plugs ears *
- Carr’s stick gets slashed into two pieces and we head to the power play. Wait. His stick broke when he took a shot. Oh well, too little too late Columbus, penalty awarded.
- Radulov knocked off the puck? What the puck?! (warranted)
- Paul Byron picks Saad’s pocket and flies down the ice, just inches away from getting a short-handed goal, but Bobrovsky’s scramble keeps the Habs at zero.
- Blue Jackets are starting to get a little sloppy. It’s still just 2-0 fellas. This is still doable.
- So, Radulov had a not-so-great middle period. Perhaps he’s starting to miss his little buddy?
- Radulov seems to have a bit of a spring in his step with two shots on goal during the first half.
- Habs have kept the pressure on high keeping the Blue Jackets in their zone the whole first half of the period.
- Gallagher sooooo close to putting an end to his goal drought. So close.
- Petry with a Christmas miracle! Lights the lamp from an awkward angle on the goal line.
- Habs are dominating. Columbus haven’t gotten a shot on goal yet this period with eight minutes left.
- Saad comes in for another one but Montoya says not a chance.
- Montoya heads to the bench with 1:30 left. We can still tie this up boys.
- Well, not a victory in the normal sense, but I’ll take a 2-1 loss over a 10-0 any day.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight!
EOTP 3 Stars
3. There are spies among us!
2. Tried, tested, and true.
Habs Highlight of the night
Paul Byron makes a great play, but Sergei Bobrovsky steals the show: