For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- Radulov is still under the weather so Charles Hudon makes his season debut with the Habs.
- Last time I wrote the TSM, the Habs had their most horrifying loss of the season. Of many seasons actually. A 10-0 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets, with Big Al going down with the ship.
- Tonight the Habs face the Carolina Hurricanes and need a win because if not:
(1) It will be three losses in a row, thus creating a “losing streak”
(2) Montoya may psych himself out about the curse of Carey Price’s backup, and never regain his confidence
(3) But most importantly, I will be known as the TSM jinx
- And we’re off!
- The Habs start off with pressure in the Hurricane’s zone, almost slipping one past Cam as everyone invades his space.
- Montoya misplays the puck and we’re reminded that he’s not nearly as good a puck handler as Carey Price. Good thing he can’t hear you, Jason York.
- Chris Terry with a loud ping off the post!
- Jeff Skinner with one off the crossbar, up in the air, knocked off Terry’s stick and ...not in the net! Montoya installed a force field around the net. Good thinking Al. I’m completely on board with this.
- Weber heads off for slashing. Time for a short-handed Byron goal.
- Stempniak hit top corner. The crowd cheers. The horn blows. The light flashes. But the puck is...on the outside of the net. Lovin’ this force field Al.
- Nice, clean hit by Terry sends Derek Ryan twirling into the air. Terry is in it to win it against his old team tonight.
- Some good pressure from the Habs preventing Carolina from getting a line change.
- Petry hammers the puck in to make it 1-0!
- But, Carr kinda knocked Ward over so here comes a coaches challenge. Excuse me while I grab a power nap.
- Take a bow on that Oscar award winning performance Cam, Ben Bishop would be proud. But Carr was cross-checked so no goaltender interference.
- Petry with his first goal since notching two during opening night and Hudon grabs the assist.
- Did I miss a penalty? Why does it seem like Carolina is on a power play?
- Skinner redirects the puck with off his skate, fooling Montoya and tying it up.
- It’s the Habs turn to challenge. These refs must have somewhere to be tonight. Seconds later the results are in and the call on the ice stands.
- It seems this has excited the Hurricane’s. They’re all over the Canadiens.
- Deep breath fellas. Don’t get spooked. Hit the button on the force field Montoya!
- Another redirect gives the Hurricane’s a 2-1 lead. A quick review to see if it’s a high stick but good goal.
- Are the ref’s just toying with us? Sure, we’ll review. Get your hopes up a little, but we’re not going to call the goal back. Muahahaha...
- Hurricanes notch another one less than two minutes later. Sorry Al, that one wasn’t a redirect. It was pretty...direct.
- Shaw and his mustache tips one in to give the Habs some new life!
- Gallagher off the post. They’re not going down without a fight.
- Well Montoya...turns out, we just don’t make a good pair.
Habs highlight of the night:
Charles Hudon gets his first point of the year: