For those new to the website, the Top Six Minutes are a continuation of the game thread, in which we discuss the game in an informal manner. Detailed recaps are available every morning following games.
- The Habs open the period with three shots on six attempts in the first four and a half minutes.
- Ryan White plays for the Coyotes now. He makes his presence felt with a slash and some chirping after the whistle.
- Carey Price goes into the commercial break not having faced a shot.
- The Coyotes get their first shot of the game at the 6:46 mark.
- Powerplay Habs. Shea Weber gets two shots off. The first hits the post, the second goes just wide.
- You often hear people describe Weber’s shot as “heavy”. This actually makes sense scientifically. As objects move through space, the energy of their motion is an aspect of that’s object mass. When something moves really fast, because energy is added to that object, it gains mass. In other words, Shea Weber’s shot makes the puck more massive.
- Alexei Emelin uses science to break the deadlock by blasting a rocket from the point a few feet off the ice just below Louis Domingue’s glove to put the Habs up 1-0.
- Alex Radulov takes a holding the stick penalty in the offensive zone just after setting up Artturi Lehkonen for a one-timer that unluckily hopped on Lehkonen at the last second making him miss.
- The Yotes will begin the second period with three seconds of powerplay time.
- Alex Radulov leaves the penalty box and feeds Tomas Plekanec for a short breakaway on which Plekanec draws slashing penalty.
- The Habs’ powerplay is short-lived. Alex Galchenyuk takes a high-sticking penalty trying to win the puck back from Brad Richardson in the defensive zone.
- Nathan Beaulieu carries the puck up the ice and sets up Torrey Mitchell with a perfect cross-ice pass that Mitchell buries past Domingue to put the Habs up 2-0.
- A squirmish breaks out involving the Canadiens’ top line and Ryan White. White loses by getting the only penalty.
- SHEA WEBER scores his first as a Hab to make it 3-0 on the powerplay on a blast set up by Andrei Markov.
- Yes, you have to write his hame in CAPS because he’s huge.
- Alex Galchenyuk scores to make it 4-0! He carries the puck over the blueline, dangles Shane Doan and then uses Luke Schenn as a screen to beat Domingue glove-side for his first goal of the season.
- Justin Peters comes in to replace Louis Domingue who made 15 saves on 19 shots.
- Carey price makes a flurry of saves before it comes loose to Jakob Chychrun who throws into an open corner of the net while players lay sprawled around the crease to make it 4-1 and register his first career NHL goal.
- Carey Price looks sharp tonight. He stops Shane Doan on a breakaway with the flash of a pad.
- Some hard work from the fourth line draws a penalty. The Habs keep the puck away for almost a full minute and nearly score with the extra man.
- On the powerplay, Nathan Beaulieu takes a puck from behind his own net and throws it up the middle of the ice to Brad Richardson who strolls in alone and scores to cut the Habs’ lead to 4-2.
- The top line goes out and wreaks havoc, nearly restoring the three-goal lead. Max Pacioretty was slamming his stick like a madman for a pass in the slot but the puck never found him and was eventually lost sight of by the ref who called the play dead.
- The Coyotes exert the pressure early on, but are not able to generate many shot attempts. With fifteen minutes left in the third the Habs lead 35-21 in shots on net and 63-28 CF.
- Max Pacioretty really wants a goal tonight. He’s set up by Brendan Gallagher for a one-timer in close to goalie Justin Peters who closes the door. The other member of the line on the shift was David Desharnais, as Michel Therrien starts to mix up the lines.
- You have to go all the way back to October 29, 2015 for Carey Price’s last loss. Including the World Cup, with a win tonight Carey Price can increase his win streak to nine games.
- Artturi Lehkonen scores! Tomas Plekanec finds Lehkonen alone in the slot with a rolling pass that Lehkonen throws past Justin Peters to put the Habs up 5-2.
- Shea Weber has four points in four games now, also drawing an assist on the goal.
- That’s it! The Habs win this one 5-2 and Carey Price gets his first win of the season.
- Emelin scores for the first time in over 19 months
- Shea Weber nearly places Tobias Rieder in the players’ bench with a big hit
- Nathan Beaulieu’s great zone entry leads to Torrey Mitchell’s second goal
- Weber scores his first goal on the power play with a patented slap shot
- Alex Galchenyuk immediately follows it up with a nice goal of his own
- Artturi Lehkonen is left all alone in the slot, and scores his second goal
EOTP 3 Stars
Highlight of the Night
Alex Galchenyuk burns Shane Doan