Montreal Canadiens News and Notes
- Jeff Petry’s status will be a game day decision, but Michel Therrien indicated a return against Ottawa looks good.
"Things look really good for Jeff [Petry]" to return against Ottawa, says Therrrien. A decision on his playing status will come on Saturday. pic.twitter.com/Tk0WiejdCv— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) October 14, 2016
- Kirk Muller apparently uses a lot of positive reinforcement in his coaching style.
#Habs working on the power play here in Kanata. Have to say: Kirk Muller brings a lot of positive reinforcement in his coaching approach.— Dan Robertson (@DRTSN690) October 14, 2016
- Andrew Shaw won’t see additional discipline for a slewfoot on Thursday night, but had already ironically scheduled a sitdown with Stephane Quintal for educational meeting. [Today’s Slapshot]
- Michel Therrien also wanted to make sure he spoke to Shaw about his style of play. [Twitter]
Therrien says he had a good talk with Shaw today. "He plays with an edge. He's a competitive guy but you don't want him to cross the line."— Dan Robertson (@DRTSN690) October 14, 2016
- The St. John’s Icecaps are loading their first line with the Habs’ top AHL level prospects and the rest of the roster looks more experienced than last year’s edition. [Telegram Sports]
- Les Canadiennes announced their new captain on Friday morning. Watch the announcement with new captain Marie-Philip Poulin. [Salut Bonjour]
- Mats Naslund is often overlooked when talking about Habs of yore, but he was an electrifying player. Robert Soderlind made a great tribute video of some of his best highlights. [YouTube]
- How much influence did a man like Maurice Richard have on his opponents? Apparently enough to bend their religious views.
#Leafs Johnny Bower: "I went to church and lit candles so Rocket wouldn't score on me. He scored two that night. I stopped going to church!"— Dave Stubbs (@Dave_Stubbs) October 14, 2016
- SI has ranked all NHL official mascots, and Montreal’s Youppi! came in second place. [Sports Illustrated]
Around the League and Elsewhere
- Keeping a roster spot past your prime is becoming more and more difficult for role players; many experienced players left PTO’s without contracts, showing a shift in the way business is being done. [Yahoo! Sports]
- Speaking of contracts, the current CBA between the league and players’ union is not a favourable one to players and should be changed at the very next opportunity. [The Comeback]
- Coaching has been more scrutinized and analyzed as we continue to apply data and statistics to sports. Here are some of the numbers for NHL coaches and what they mean. [Hockey Graphs]
- Our pals over at Winging it in Motown are passionate about mental health and take a look at a topic not discussed enough. [WIIM]
- Ever wonder about what the odds are of making a living playing hockey? Spoiler alert: they’re extremely thin. [Twitter]
Odds of minor hockey players making it to the NHL— Darryl Wolski (@2112hockey) October 13, 2016