For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
How's everybody feeling after Christmas? Looks like the boys are feeling refreshed from their little break; the slumped shoulders from Tuesday appear to have been replaced by optimism and the knowledge that the latest losing streak cannot last forever.
The last time I was on the TSM desk, the Canadiens beat Ottawa. Which is also the last time they won. To end a losing streak. So you guys, come on. Obviously ... you know.
Last time these two teams met, Ovechkin was held to one single shot. Capitals, Schmapitals! Coach Therrien insists the players and structure are even better now than during their historic nine-game win streak to start the season.
- Hopefully that play by Plekanec does not foreshadow the next 59 minutes of play please thanks
- "Boy those Caps looked really good in the warmup" OK
- Petry was reaching for a puck, man
- First penalty kill of the game for the Habs.
- Flynn almost got a shorty
- Terrible powerplay for the home team. Tinordi looked good.
- High stick on Eller, come on man!
- I cannot remember the last time the Habs scored first. Kuznetsov connects with the fourth shot by Washington. 1-0, bad guys.
- Period's almost half over and the Habs have only one shot. How can that be?
- Montreal had to clear waivers apparently to travel to Washington. OK Glen Healy.
- I like Mitchell's line
- Jarred Tinordi. Why in god's name are you fighting?!
- Interference call and the bad guys are back to the powerplay.
- Condon with an important save there
- In Ovechkin's NHL you're allowed to play with a broken stick and get away with it
- Condon with ANOTHER important save
- Oh, plus getting aggressive, good for you Condo
- Good kill
- Desharnais is sneaky
- Habs off to the powerplay
- Hitting that post with the man advantage is a nice characterization of the Habs' luck lately
- Period over. Still 1-0.
- Habs still on the powerplay
- 2-0. Sigh.
- Oh hey! Daniel Carr, ladies and gentlemen. The Habs just got right back into the game. 2-1.
- You get the feeling P.K. is about to explode
- Backstrom getting fancy, but Condon denies him
- Just looked it up, because my boyfriend naturally assumed Ovi got one of the goals - no shots so far for Ovechkin.
- ANOTHER beauty save by Condon
- This is starting to get repetitive. Condon is having himself a night.
- Holy CRAP Condon!
- Please, please get Condon some goals.
- Canadiens vs Capitals Top Six Minutes: The OH MY GOOD GOD CONDON edition
- We need someone to take this team on his back from time to time. For my money, that man stands alone in net tonight.
- That's it. Get him some goddamned goals.
- My heart is bursting with joy like I'm Mike Condon's mom or something.
- I am incredibly biased so tell me: does the crowd at the Bell Centre boo offsides? I feel like they don't. IT WAS OFF SIDE
- Oh Davey
- At least they're spending a little more time in the O zone. Right?
- Daniel Carr trying very hard to get his second goal of the night. Isn't he just wonderful?
- Very nice effort by Galchenyuk
- Condon has made 23 stops so far; a great show for a goaltender whose stats have been dominating the airwaves of late.
- Powerplay time after a high stick that was tough for the refs to ignore this time
- Nothing. But we're winning all the faceoffs!
- I a little bit wish Weise would have tapped Holtby harder, come on, Dale!
- Petry with all the shots all of a sudden.
- 2-1, bad guys.
- I haven't written anything in three minutes - but the Habs are trying very hard to buy a goal
- Embellishment on Byron? Sure, why not.
- P.K. playing keep-away
- 4-on-4 over
- I can't think of anything to say
- It feels like the Habs aren't letting the Capitals do anything
- For those obsessed with counting the seconds, Galchenyuk and Desharnais have identical ice time right now: 13:27.
- Chimera scores, and I don't have to check Twitter to know what's being said about Emelin right now.
- I feel so bad for Condon.
- Alex Ovechkin sitting out a shift or two after falling on his elbow
- While the Hyundai commercial airs, I muse about what the narrative will become after tonight; the goaltending has been anything but bad. And it's not like Holtby has had to be too heroic. I may log off for a couple of days.
- Galchenyuk has played 30 more seconds than Desharnais
- Condon on the bench
- Galchenyuk and Carr both on the man advantage
- 50 seconds left
- P.K. fans on the one-timer
- 15 seconds
- Game over.