For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
Tuukka Rask has struggled mightily against the Habs and it looks like Claude Julien finally got the message. With the Bruins playing back-to-back games tonight and tomorrow, the coach put his trust in a goaltender known as "The Monster." I can't imagine Dutch Gretzky is at all intimidated.
The game marks the teams' second match up of the season and follows the unveiling of the Montreal Canadiens' new albino Winter Classic jersey. When they met in game two of the 2015-16 season, the Eller, Galchenyuk & Semin ruled the headlines after a strong performance. Flash forward a baker's dozen games and Semin is eating hot dogs in the press box. Things move fast in the NHL, just watch Paul Byron.
Some fun stats to set the mood:
- Through the first six games of his blossoming NHL career, Mike Condon has yet to lose in regulation with a 5-0-1 record.
- Three of Fleischmann's four goals this season are game winners(!).
- Weise has more goals than Pacioretty, Ovechkin and Stamkos... but you already knew that.
- Gilbert is the only Hab without a point this season. But I predicted he'd score tonight's #1stHabsGoal, so that's as good as done.
- Montreal & Boston rank 1-2 in terms of goals for per game: 3.67 & 3.58 respectively. Doubt this one ends 1-0.
- Win or lose tonight, when you wake up tomorrow Les Canadiens de Montreal will still rank #1 in the NHL.
- Too many defensemen on the ice right off the bat. Habs to the PK.
- Well that was quick. Loui Eriksson redirects Bergeron's one-timer by Condon.
- Habs reply with a ton of pressure.
- Bell Centre is rocking tonight, even down 1-0.
- Shots of the Habs & Bruins in their new tuques. Will you buy one?
- Tough call on Plekanec for cross-checking Hayes into Condon.
- Markov gets up-ended entering the Bruins zone and retaliates with a trip.
- Penalty pending, Markov slaps the puck at the Bruins bench. General mad.
- Another look at the trip and the academy award for a staring role in Embellishment goes to... Colin Miller!
- Condon with some big saves late in the period to keep this game respectable.
- BOOM. Emelin just introduced Frank Vatrano to the NHL as if his first name was Milan.
- 1-0 after 20.
- How about a Habs powerplay? They're due.
- There you have it: Krejci to the box for hooking.
- PLEKANEC! Gallagher with the saucer to Plek alone in front. Snipes it!
- Another penalty for Montreal. This is silly.
- Krug misses a Grand Canyon WIDE open net. How!?
- Vatrano, no worse for wear after the Emelin hit, gets his first NHL goal. Go figure.
- 2-1 game.
- Loose puck in the blue paint behind Condon for what feels like an eternity.
- Krejci to the box again... Habs need to score next.
- If Rask was in goal, this would already be a 6-2 game, right?
- Subban leads all skaters with 17:15 TOI through 40.
- Remains 2-1 Boston with both teams trading chances.
- Another puck nearly trickles in behind Condon.
- Second look shows amazing instincts by the rookie to keep that puck out.
- This may be Condon's shakiest game thus far, and he's still doing great.
- Habs top line pressing with shot after shot and...
- Plekanec scores! 2-2
- Hold the presses! Goalie interference? Gallagher? Again?
- Replay shows Chara towering, breathing down Gallagher's neck & pushing him into Gustavsson.
- Have to wonder if that's a reputation call. Gallagher's office and all.
- Still 2-1 Bruins. Sorry folks. #BlameGallagher
- Gallagher's going to cause as many disallowed goals as he scores this year.
- BUT I STILL LOVE HIM, OKAY!
- LARRRRS! Full viking! 2-2 game, no take-backs!
- Habs & Bruins trade icings as regulation slows.
- Krejci picks up ANOTHER penalty for disrespecting Plek.
- BIG PP here.
- DAVEY! 3-2!
- Habs stuck to it all night and completed the comeback
- Pacioretty scores into the empty net to seal the deal.
- Habs win!