For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
Through good and bad, your Montreal Canadiens have posted a marvelous 11-2-0 record through 13 (lucky?) games. Not so lucky if you consider Carey Price is on the shelf with a LBI, an injury allegedly suffered during an improbable 4-3 loss to the Edmonton Oilers last Thursday. Maybe the injury gave the Oilers the edge they needed to score 4 unanswered goals after Montreal took an early three goal lead. Or maybe the loss was the result of a bigger problem.
But I digress. Since that disappointing finish, the Canadiens have racked up two big wins against the Calgary Flames and Winnipeg Jets, outscoring their opponents 11-3 in the process. Not bad when you consider rookie netminder Mike Condon has been anointed the short-term starting goalie. With four wins under his pads and the NHL's best save percentage, Condon aimed to improve his perfect record to 5-0 against the Ottawa Senators tonight.
- Mark Stone serving the first half of his micro suspension.
- Take your pick: Game is televised on RDS, TSN & Sportsnet tonight.
- Condon already with one big save, on Zibanejad.
- Byron is the real deal, eh? Has anyone ever scored three short-handed goals in 3 consecutive games before?
- If anyone has, I bet it's Plekanec.
- Petry can't see it, but his name is plastered behind the Habs net on RDS.
- Inexplicable smoke meat poutine cravings...
- Over to TSN for a beat. I wonder if Gord Miller misses Pierre McGuire.
- Gallagher and Plekanec get rocked on the same shift. No love between these clubs.
- Smith-Pelly went from a likely scratch to start the season to the team's second line right-wing.
- Based on the Twitter chatter I've seen, not everyone believes that's the right spot for him.
- PLEKANEC SCOR... Chris Lee strikes again.
- Scratch that, Gallagher definitely interferes with Anderson there.
- No goal, right call.
- Why is Therrien challenging this? So much for the timeout tonight.
- Therrien, reviewing the play in the hall on a screen, doesn't like what he sees. Someone in the video room made the wrong call.
- I'm no goaltending expert, but Condon works hard for his saves whereas Price's saves seem effortless.
- At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how the job gets done so as long as it's done.
- Just ask Tim Thomas.
- Bob McKenzie thinks Byfuglien should have been suspended. So there you have it.
- Subban eats a stick early on. Not happy as the trainer applies pressure to his jaw on the bench.
- No call on the play.
- Desharnais eats a different stick to draw a penalty this time.
- P.K. Subban misses the puck at the blue line and Pageau is off...
- Pageau, of course, scores. #HabsKiller
- 1-0 Sens
- Montreal can't convert on what's left of the powerplay to tie the game.
- The first line, buzzing, draws another powerplay.
- OH MY.
- Desharnais won't see an assist on that play, but does he ever deserve one.
- Davey slipped his way through two defenders, causing them to face-plant into each other along the boards, then dished to Markov who's quick pass found Chucky, Weise and the back of the net.
- 1-1 game!
- How does Condon do it? That was a spectacular blocker save.
- Galchenyuk has looked strong tonight. Still a very shifty, shoot-first player. Usually has more time and space than he thinks.
- He'll figure it out sooner or later, and when he does - look out!
- Weise with as many goals as Pacioretty. Let that sink in. Then read this:
Dale Weise now has more goals than Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Corey Perry & Erik Karlsson.....COMBINED.— Ian Mendes (@ian_mendes) November 4, 2015
- Has Montreal lost a faceoff tonight?
- Weise to the box for delay of game. Tough break.
- Cue the Byron shortie, right?
- Condon makes the save, refs blow the whistle, pucks squeaks through.
- Speaking of tough breaks... Refs confirm no goal after checking upstairs.
- Eller's looked good tonight too. Amazing thing, confidence is.
- This game already has those "next goal wins" feels with seven minutes left.
- My money's on Emelin or Gilbert. Both seeking their first of the year.
- Man, Gilbert hasn't even got a point yet. That's an achievement on its own.
- Mitchell draws a(nother) high-sticking penalty. Habs PP with 4 to play...
- Subban has been off since taking a stick to the jaw in the first period.
- Three minutes to turn that around...
- All kinds of chances. Anderson is stealing this one so far.
- First 3-on-3 action of the year for Habs.
- Erik Karlsson is already crying big salty tears.
- Ottawa has already been in four shootouts this season. Almost like it's on... purpose?
- That didn't take long.
- Kyle Turris seals it 2-1 in overtime.