For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
- Your Montreal Canadiens are the best team in the NHL, ladies and gents! But the New Jersey Devils are still seeing red after a wonky waved off goal and are looking to get even by getting the best of the best in the East.
- It's time for a duel to the death between two ginger goalies (no, of course no goalies will be hurt during the making of this game).
- Confession time: I may or may not have tried to drown out my Carey Price and Brendan Gallagher related sorrows by binge eating Oreos today.
- Andregetti. The play by play guy just called Sven Andrighetto, Andregetti. Andregetti. This is going to be a long game.
- Lee Stempniak and Devante Smith-Pelly exchanged penalties, but neither team was able to put one in the net. Hell, the Habs weren't even able to put a shot on net. Get used to it folks, this will be a running theme this
- Not much happened in the first period for the Habs. They started off sloppy but got a couple of good chances by the end of the period (well as many good chances as you can get on 5 shots anyways) but unfortunately the Habs got Schneider'd on all of their attempts.
- As is tradition for a Devils game, almost nothing happened during the entire first period. If the NHL is serious about increasing goal scoring in this league, they should really consider sending the Devils to the KHL.
- Adam Henrique shoots once, shame on a Habs' defenceman. Adam Henrique shoots twice, shame on all the Habs' defensemen. It's 1-0 for the bad guys. When I said I wanted more shots on net, this isn't what I meant hockey gods.
- The play by play guy can pronounce Andrighetto properly now, thereby denying me the only joy I've gotten out of watching this game thus far.
- Habs got a power play but decided to go old school and send out last season's power play unit instead. It went as well as you would expect. The Devils also got a power play but because they are the Devils, they scored on the 3rd shot they've taken all damn period.
- 'Ghetto, that is all! The Swiss sniper puts one on the board for the good guys and now has 2 goals in 3 games this season. Okay Neumann, time to fess up. What did you do to Andrighetto this season?
- The second period has mercifully come to an end. I only have to suffer through one more period of hell. Honestly, I've watched paint dry that was more entertaining than this game.
- After spending two periods doing everything in their might to not shoot the puck on net, both teams let the floodgates open in the third. But with more shots comes more responsibilities (or in this case, more icings).
- The Canadiens threw everything and the kitchen sink at Cory Schneider during their third power play. At this point, I am convinced that he sold his soul to an actual devil to play this well for New Jersey.
- Alex Galchenyuk ties the game on a brilliant solo effort, finally putting another one past the soulless Schneider! It also helped that all three Devils chasing after him simultaneously had a midlife crisis while watching number 27 skate by.
- Out of all the games in this 82 game season, why did it have to be this game that had to go to overtime?
- Relax Devils' fans, that wasn't a penalty. Okay fine, that second one was a dumb penalty.
- Tomas Plekanec is everything that is right in this world and the Devils also take a dumb penalty of their own in OT.
- Schneider has Subban's number.
- The Habs will play 82 games this season and they chose this one to take to a shootout. Thanks Habs, I really appreciate it.
- Galchenyuk shoots, Galchenyuk scores.
- DD shoots, DD is denied.
- Pacioretty shoots, but no goal.
- Eller shoots, Eller goes wide.
- Really Habs, are we really going to do this?
- Andrighetto gives the Habs a lead.
- And Condon makes the final save! Goodnight and good game folks!
2. Can we please keep him up here?
3. Now I'm sad all over again.
- Andrighetto scores his second goal in three games
- Alex Galchenyuk's beautiful backhand goal
- Alex Galchenyuk's ridiculous shootout goal