For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
Like the night before Christmas, here we are at the last preseason game before actual, meaningful hockey starts. Because as you all know, preseason games mean nothing. Whether a team wins or loses, both teams end up with the same amount of nothing. Nothing will change the fact that these preseason games mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of hockey that has yet to be played this season. Having no Subban, no Markov, no Price and no Semin, makes today's game that much more meaningless. In fact, it only adds to the nothingness that these games mean.
All that being said, please kick Ottawa's butt today Montreal.
- Also, why is it that whenever I have to write a TSM, it almost always about the annoying Ottawa Senators? I am just going to assume that shenanigans
- Couldn't have said it better myself:
No Markov. No Price. No SUBBAN. In OTTAWA! Tonight's match-up brought to you by the horse tranquilizer industry.— Chantal (@habsgirl4life) October 3, 2015
- The 'C' looks so perfect on Max Pacioretty.
- Michel Therrien's suit selection is on point. Dave Cameron's choice, not so much.
- Mark Fraser doesn't seem to know how to play hockey. He'll fit in perfectly with the Senators.
- Montreal's power play...exists.
- Ew Chris Neil scored. Ewwww. Ewwwwwww.
- Gallagher is doing what Gallagher does. (i.e. getting all up into the O'Connor's space and receiving the wrath of Ottawa's players for good measure)
- A crease call in Gallagher's favour? Amazing.
- Weise PP goal! So will DD-Weise-Flash be our first power play unit from now on?
- By the way, that was some exceptional stick work by Fleischmann on that last power play goal.
- Hoffman from Stone, gross. 2-1 Sens.
- Uh Tokarski, you can start making saves any time now.
- Fleischmann got sent to the sin bin for hooking but Therrien takes exception to the call.
- PK time. Unfortunately, no Subbans will be on the ice for this one.
- DSP had a nifty shot on O'Connor during a Habs' penalty kill.
- 3-1 Sens, Wideman scored. Assist Stone (because it had to be him). Gord damn it.
- Montreal is outshooting Ottawa 19-8. The Senators are leading 3-1. *sigh*
- Normally, I'm not one to use the whole "Do you even watch the game?" argument, but sometimes it does need to be said. Especially when people say things like this:
Vincent Damphousse says Brendan Gallagher is the biggest disappointment of training camp. Yes he said that.— Mitch Melnick (@HunterZThompson) October 3, 2015
- The Habs are currently accomplishing a rare feat, one where they actually keep the puck in their opponent's end for long periods of time.
- Gilbert takes his skate of shame to the sin bin, after being penalized for holding. More PK time!
- Dutch Gretzky breakaway on the penalty kill! But O'Connor, killer of joy, made the save.
- There was a communication breakdown of sorts between Beaulieu, Eller and Tokarski that resulted in Tokarski being stranded in no man's land and the net being left empty.
- Luckily, the Sens can't manage to score.
- But neither can the Habs, as Petry's brilliant shot was turned away.
- Thank you Mark Fraser! Your incredible ability to take dumb penalties just resulted in a fantastic Galchenyuk power play goal.
- This, a hundred times this:
Alex Galchenyuk good at the hockey— Аrpon Basu (@ArponBasu) October 4, 2015
- Mark Fraser is my favourite Senator. Please keep him around, Ottawa. While we're on the topic of keeping players around, Marc Bergevin can we please keep Tomas Fleischmann?
- Montreal's honey badger strikes and the games is tied! Take that Damphousse.
- Dale Weise got sent to the penalty box for tripping, and on the ensuing power play...well at this point, you probably know that he-who-must-not-be-named scored for Ottawa. 4-3 Ottawa.
- The Canadiens have put a whopping 30 shots on net already! And yet, they are still trailing. What is this voodoo?
- At this point, all Habs' fans have to be wondering the same thing:
Ah, come ON, Dustin...— Mathieu Roy (@Le_Matheux) October 4, 2015
- The Sens are Habbing the Habs.
- Oh no Emelin, what did you do? Elements giveaway led to a 2-on-0 for the Senators but Tokarski made the huge glove save!
- Hmm, it seems that Michel Therrien has been playing musical winger with the Galchenyuk-Eller line.
- To be honest, I haven't really noticed any of the wingers who have played on the Galchenyuk and Eller line.
- Smith got 2 for hooking, and ruined a Galchenyuk scoring chance in the process. Oh well, time for the power play.
- Ceci makes it 5-3 for the Senators, with a stinker. Tokarski looks really shaky in net.
- The Canadiens have finally pulled their goalie for an extra attacker.
- Pacioretty takes a shot from the blueline and scores! How? Because he's Max Pacioretty.
- I have a good feeling about that Pacioretty kid:
- The Habs will still have to play 3-on-3 overtime after this. Poor Tokarski.
- This is not going to end well for the Habs.
- Or not, as Tom Gilbert channelled his inner Bobby Orr to win it for the Habs.
- Whatever, it's only preseason. Come Wednesday, let the real games begin!