For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
Habs are 4-0 headed into their home opener and the bluseshirts are in town to welcome them. Trouble is that they will have to accomplish this in front of 21,273 fans that regardless of who they cheer for, will bleed red, white, & blue.
The goalie vs goalie matchup will be key here, as Vezina, Hart, Jennings, and Ted Lindsay winner Carey Price goes up against The King. This should be a good one folks.
I'm also popping my Top Six Minutes cherry with this one, so wish me luck!
- People need to stop with this whole "unbeaten" thing. Do they not know what jinx is?!?
- Blackout rights have gotten so complicated to follow that rather than paying for cable I'm watching the game at a bar right now...not that I'm complaining.
- Max Pacioretty pregame montage = nice.
- HOME OPENER HYPE ACTIVATED...YES...THIS IS GOOD.
- That Guy Carbonneau torch exchange to Patches is gold. It shows that the Habs do, in fact, have legends that are not too far from today.
- Pk is just magical, he plays the strings to the city's heart.
- The crowd is definitely into it, hopefully that Habs can deliver tonight.
- Hello New York, meet Carey Price. I'm sure you've met before.
- Gally is going to get his, and soon. You'd better believe that.
- C'mon Gally, I can't back you and then you take a bad penalty. That's not how this is supposed to work.
- Carey Price is a rock, nothing in any game situation seems to phase him. It's both unexplainable and amazing at the same time.
- The Habs have definitely changed their approach in terms of zone entry. They are carrying the puck way more often and are generating scoring chances because of it.
- A lot of well minded hockey people have told me that the Habs are lucky to have such a mobile defensive unit, and I will confirm that yes, indeed we are.
- Habs getting no love from the refs on that breakaway. Just as I say that Emelin gets a questionable embelishment penalty
- Remember when the Staal brothers were a huge headline in the NHL? Yeah, those were dark times for a Habs fan.
- Be calm...be calm...be calm...DFSIFVSVWJFQJFWQFIAJAVJWJVWIV WHY IS THAT A PENALTY?
- I swear Lundqvist is the only redeeming thing about the Rangers, he's such a class act and has been for years on end.
- "EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING" - Bob Cole
- Odd man rushes on both sides, if I had any sanity left during this TSM it's gone now.
- There have been so many special teams events so far in this game that I'm wondering what the 5-vs-5 Corsi data looks like. Probably not good.
- Remember when the Sportsnet people were making "the ultimate goalie" bit? Yeah, just replace everything with Carey Price.
- If I had a nickel for every time the announcer said "A chance in front!" I would be a rich man. Now we just need to capitalize. The Habs seems to be generating good scoring chances tonight.
- Damn you Lundqvist, and your magnificent hair.
- Weise fails to capitalise on a break and we are headed to the first intermission tied at 0-0. So far good chances for both teams but both teams have amazing goaltenders so colour me surprised.
- I just noticed that Gallagher is wearing an A, for some reason that just seems right.
- Is it weird that whenever I see Semin make a turnover or miss a pass, I automatically think that if we were paying more, they would be his undoing.
- It seems that the Habs can't catch a break from the refs, but that's okay, I prefer their play 5-vs-5 over a powerkill.
- Captainetty doing work, gets a chance in front and nearly blows the roof off this building, and this bar.
- Thank you Plek for saving us from that horrible display of a power play with a nice 4 on 4.
- L'Harceleur has to be the best nickname on the Habs. I mean it's technically not a nickname, because it's his name, but he has been all over the Ranger defence this evening.
- Semin complements that Chucky-Eller line so well, it's only a matter of time before he gets his first.
- The Flash with the goal! By far the most underrated pickup by the Habs in the offseason.
- DSP has been having a quietly decent start to his season. He's definitely faster than before and he's been creating some chances as well as drawing some contact for the call.
- I don't care, Lundqvist needs his place in my jersey cabinet...maybe after this game though.
- Beaulieu trying to pull a Markov out there in the power play, misses but hopefully shows a sign of things to come.
- My heart...I can't take these near misses...just bury it.
- Markov is mad, Markov is VERY mad. Markov doesn't get mad very often, but when he does its both confusing and weird.
- Tha's a bad play by Emelin, and I've noticed that the Habs are yapping a lot to the refs, and I also noticed that it's not working.
- 5-on-3 RIP
- Oh my heart again...thank you Price.
- Both goalies are rallying spectacular saves like it's a tennis match, and the Habs are headed to intermission with a 1-0 lead.
- I'm not going to even mention it, but it has to do with Liam Neeson.
- Starting off the period on a power play is always a welcome surprise, and also a nightmare depending on who you cheer for.
- Kreider is still, and always will be a scumbag. Thank you Price for putting him down, thank you.
- If I start thanking Price for everything he does, I literally will never finish this article.
- I feel like nobody talks enough about how much of a rock Markov is. The model of consistent performance, The General is there to make the safe play every time.
- Guys...please...help...my heart.
- Desharnais got all of that, to give credit where credit is due, Lundqvist is just an amazing goalie.
- McDonaugh has been so quiet tonight that I haven't even heard a single mention the infamous "Gomez Trade".
- I'm always amazed at how much velocity Galchenyuk gets on his shot. It's like a mini rocket, and that's not even coming close to how good his vision and passing is. Why was this guy not playing center again?
- DSP just got robbed by the king's hand. Go back to Casterly Rock you fiend.
- DUTCH GRETZKY!!!!!!! BY THE GODS.
- "Good things happen when you shoot the puck", thanks for the hot tip with that spot on analysis.
- Doesn't matter had Pleks.
- 3-0 Carey Price has the Shutout and that's all she wrote.
EOTP 3 Stars
2. It's good to be back
1. Why be a king, when you can be a god?