For our new readers and members, the Top Six Minutes is a continuation of the discussion in the game thread. We try to keep it light and entertaining. Full recaps are up the morning after every game.
Max Pacioretty is ready to make his debut as Captain of the Montreal Canadiens. The man broke his tibia 12 weeks ago! Don't be surprised if he scores early in the one.
RDS pulled a fast one with the game airing on RDS2 tonight. A lot of unhappy fans tuned into RDS to learn that Montreal and Ottawa are also facing off in the CFL.
- Pacioretty isn't in the starting line up? Guess Therrien's saving that for Game 1.
- Remember that time PK Subban slashed Mark Stone?
- Oh hey, that was quick. Galchenyuk establishes possession along the boards and next thing you know, Markov snipes it for a 1-0 early lead.
- Now, which 3 of you predicted Markov for the #1stHabsGoal?
Who could have ever seen that coming? pic.twitter.com/7Ho3u5iZeg— Bonk's Mullet (@BonksMullet) October 1, 2015
- What did Noah Juulsen do to deserve slotting in next to Emelin?
- Ouch. Speaking of Juulsen, he just discovered what throwing an NHL check feels like.
- Beaulieu is going to be lights out for the Habs this year.
- If Hudon is demoted after the game, and I suspect he will be, it won't be long before he's back up with the club.
- Semin saves a goal with a strong defensive effort...? In preseason!?
- Hoffman sure can accelerate.
- Carey Price Carey Pricing again.
- Habs to the PP, Borowiecki to the box. Raise your hand if you hate that guy ever since last year's preseason fight with Subban.
- Powerplay looks marginally better than last year.
- Scratch that. DIRTY backdoor pass from The Captain (man, that's going to take some getting used to).
- Nathan Beaulieu taps it home and Montreal has a 2-0 lead.
- Anderson smells hamburgers.
- Every time Galchenyuk's line hits the ice it's electric. The kid wants to win and it's contagious.
- Ceci ruins Price's preseason shutout bid with a floater that redirected off Chucky's stick. 2-1 game.
- Chris Neil is a turd. There I said it.
- To Neil's credit, he totally suckered Semin into taking a penalty too. Good trade off for Ottawa.
- This Smith-Pelly - Mitchell - Kassian line has been better than expected. Created a couple chances tonight.
- Cowen to the box for delay of game or too much hair or something.
- Mark Stone's wrist is all healed... tie game.
- Price is mid-season pissed with himself on that one. #chillout
- Well this game has all the makings of a prototypical Habs-Sens game. Last goal wins!
- Fully expect another wave of cuts tonight. And then at least one trade before Wednesday's opener.
- The Bell Centre ice crew is going to have to peel Wiercioch from the glass courtesy that Zack Kassian hit.
- Galchenyuk's puck distribution skills are next level.
- That Hoffman fellow wastes no time. 3-2 Sens.
- Price is going to want that one back too.
- Juulsen getting some good looks out there tonight. Gets the puck on net quickly.
- Pretty sure Smith-Pelly just told Cowen to cut his hair.
- Habs out-shooting Ottawa 31-15, but down 3-2.
- Subban has already played 18:24 after 40.
- Markov is a close second with 16:27.
- How long before Beaulieu starts seeing those minutes?
- Hudon with an excellent chance to tie the game, but he just can't convert.
- It's only preseason, but I can't help but feel like the Habs should be dominating the score sheet with all of the talent on the roster. What is it about this team that often plays down to their opponent's tempo?
- Pacioretty dropping all kinds of F-bombs tonight. Common man, it's only your first game. Don't be so hard on yourself.
- Kassian to the box for being big and strong and feeding people elbows.
- Smith-Pelly has played some balls-to-the-wall hockey tonight, but it's unlikely enough to snag a lineup spot opening night.
- Underrated skater: Kassian.
- Mitchell to the box, slashing.
- Pacioretty & Plekanec still have that shorthanded chemistry, I see.
- MacArthur wastes no time on the rebound. 4-2 Sens.
- Do we get free wings if the opponent scores 5?
- At least we still have 3-on-3 overtime?
- Nice chance with Subban & Pacioretty on the ice.
- Well that didn't last long. Sens win the extra inning, too.
- It's only preseason. It's only preseason. It's only preseason...