Montreal Canadiens News
- TSN Podcast interviewed Lars Eller at the airport, right before Eller flew home to his wife and daughter in Denmark. He's excited about the upcoming season, but he also sounds relieved that contract talks are finally over.
- From EOTP: A more in-depth look at Lars Eller's contract. He's signed until he's 29, for the same length and money as David Desharnais. Here's the infographic to help you visualise his new cap hit.
- The Canadiens Hockey School wraps up its summer session this week. Six hundred kids had came from all over the world to develop their game and to meet their idols. They've just had the chance to skate with players like P.K. Subban and Alex Galchenyuk, and "the experience will forever hold a special place in the minds of kids on site".
Around the League
- Read this Kyle Dubas interview from 2011, courtesy of The Star. Dubas worked for the Greyhounds at age 11, and thenscouting at age 17. He talks about his youth as a factor in the hockey business.
- Dubas being compared to Roger Neilson, who was a forerunner in the advanced stats movement. Neilson was the Leafs GM in the late 70's and early 80's, and he was regarded as "slightly bonkers" for gimmicks like endorsing video review, not trusting the plus/minus, and creating a more accurate special team stats. Yeah, you know, crazy stuff.
- Advanced stats are definitely on the rise in popularity. Thirteen clubs currently list a front office member dedicated to analytics, when just three years ago only four clubs bothered to have some one. Thoughts on hitting all thirty teams?
- Capitals sign Nathan Walker to a three year ELC contract! Walker was the first Australian to be drafted, and now the first Australian to sign a deal in the NHL. Hopefully this fall we'll see him be the first to officially hit the ice.
- NHL release an ugly Christmas sweaters collection. Because something about the end of July really makes you crave Christmas merch, I guess. When they release a Habs one, I'm going to respectfully reject the term "ugly" and submit "dirty hipster chic" instead.