Montreal Canadiens Links
- Brendan Gallagher is growing up and training hard in Vancouver this offseason... with Milan Lucic. "We've definitely had a few conversations about that [playoff] series," says Gallagher. Wow, no kidding.
- When are the Canadiens going to get a Winter Classic? More importantly, when are we going to hear Liev Schreiber's dulcet tones describing the hockey history of Montreal on HBO's 24/7?
- Speaking of TV, the new broadcast schedule for the 2014-15 season is a mess.
- Dave Stubbs writes a personality profile of Habs prospect Brett Lernout, a 6"4 defenceman with a "broad, nasty streak".
- Back-to-back gold medalist skier Alexandre Bilodeau is a Canadiens fan. Other Habs fans (or at least, Habs jersey-wearers) spotted recently: Brian May of Queen, and Snoop Dogg.
Around the NHL
- The Calgary Flames won a six-game series against the Habs to take their first Cup in 1989. Then, they failed to win a playoff series for fifteen years.
- Sidney Crosby's wrist will not require surgery. Crosby's Wrist Watch 2014 officially comes to an end.
- Charles Wang might sell the New York Islanders.
- This summer, the Central Division has been stockpiling big stars like they're in a hockey arms race, but apparently even gaining Spezza doesn't make the Dallas Stars a legitimate Cup contender.
- The AHL adopts 3-on-3 OT, in an effort to reduce shootouts. Might the NHL follow?
- Paul Stewart writes about his life as a hockey referee.
- This isn't from the NHL, but read the story of Dmitry Lisov, who captained the Russian sledge hockey team to a silver medal in the Sochi Paralympics.