The Rochester Americans scored two goals on their first three shots, but the Hamilton Bulldogs scored five unanswered goals for a 5-2 victory to open their 2010-11 season Friday night.
The Americans scored a pair of power play goals, late in the first period, before five different Bulldogs players scored on Rochester goalie Jacob Markstrom.
Robert Mayer, despite letting in the pair of goals on just three shots he faced all period, rebounded with a 19 save performance.
Ben Maxwell (1G, 1A) and Yannick Weber (2A) led the Dogs in scoring.
The Bulldogs home opener goes Saturday afternoon at 4pm against the Toronto Marlies.
Bulldogs captain Alex Henry received 17 minutes in penalites after the Americans' Triston Grant laid a questionable hit on Alex Avstin. Henry received a fighting major, and and instigator call which also got him a 10-minute misconduct. Grant received a fighting major, a five minute major for interference and a game misconduct.
Bulldogs coach Randy Cunneyworth reported that Avstin was a little banged up from the play, suffering an upper-body injury and is not expected to be in Saturday's opener.
Bulldogs goaltender Curtis Sanford took a puck to the throat in the morning skate, and will miss his scheduled start on Saturday.
1. RCH - Triston Grant - 1 (Clay Wilson, Nathan Paetsch) - 16:54 (PP)
2. RCH - Clay Wilson - 3 (Mike Kostka, Michal Repik) - 18:08 (PP)
3. HAM - Kyle Klubertanz - 1 (Frederic St. Denis, Ben Maxwell) - 19:35
4. HAM - Ben Maxwell - 1 (Brendon Nash, Yannick Weber) - 2:56 (PP)
5. HAM - David Desharnais - 1 (Ryan White, Yannick Weber) - 9:43 (PP)
6. HAM - J.T. Wyman - 1 (David Desharnais, Ryan Russell) - 9:19
7. HAM - Andrew Conboy - 1 (Gabriel Dumont) - 17:36
Hamilton: Robert Mayer (21 shots, 19 saves)
Rochester: Jacob Markstrom (31 shots, 26 saves)