I gather that many Canadiens fans are anxious for this one!
The Montreal Canadiens Memorable Games DVD box set is a compilation of the 10 greatest games in club history, as selected by fan voting. The set is hosted by Dick Irvin in english and Richard Garneau in french, and Canadiens legends from Jean Beliveau to Guy Lafleur take you back in time as they recollect some of the most glorious moments they experienced in hockey's most glorious sweater.
The set is being released this Tuesday, November 4 at a cost of approximately $60.00. The set will also be available for online orders from such outlets as Amazon.com, Chapters, Indigo and NHL shop.
The 10 games included in the DVD are:
1. 2/19/08 vs. Rangers (Habs come back from 5-0 deficit to win 6-5)
2. 11/23/03 vs. Oilers (Heritage Outdoor Classic)
3. 3/11/96 vs. Stars (Last game at the Forum)
4. 6/9/93 vs. Kings (Habs win 23rd and last Stanley Cup)
5. 5/24/86 vs. Flames (Habs win 22nd Cup)
6. 4/20/84 vs. Nordiques (Good Friday brawl in Game 6 of the Adams Division Final)
7. 5/10/79 vs. Bruins (Too many men on the ice. Semi-final Game 7)
8. 5/14/77 vs. Bruins (Habs win 2nd of Four Cups in a row)
9. 12/31/75 vs. Red Army (Tretiek puts on a show vs Habs on New Year's Eve)
10. 4/14/60 vs. Maple Leafs (Habs win 5th consecutive Stanley Cup)
To get anxious myself for this release, I scanned You Tube for some vintage clips and came up with these beauties.
Perhaps the oldest colour film of the Canadiens is from a hand held camera in 1956. These final minutes of game 5 against Detroit is the beginning of the Canadiens 5 Cup run. Near the end of the clip, you can see the Canadiens players hoist coach Toe Blake on the shoulders before Rocket Richard carries the Cup off the ice.
Unfortunately, the owner of the clip has disabled embeding priveleges, but ti can be viewed at this link.
1965 finals against Chicago, with Jean Beliveau scoring an opening minute goal
John Ferguson pounds the Leafs Kent Douglas in 1966
John Ferguson fights Bobby Baun in 1966
1968 Stanley Cup final against St. Louis
New Year's Eve 1975 versus the Central Red Army
Habs beat Cleveland Barons 8-1 in 1976
A Habs and Flyers brawl from 1976 with Robinson giving Schultz a good pummeling.
A Classic Larry Robinson rush against the Bruins in Game 5 of the 1978 finals.
Versus Toronto in 1979
The Canadiens and Nordiques Good Friday brawl on April 20, 1984
Greatest comeback in Habs history, 6-5 against the Rangers on Febuary 19, 2008.