Greg Pateryn had a rough end to the preseason in Montreal and was assigned to Hamilton where he has taken over for Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu as the dependable defensemen on a young Bulldogs team.
In the Bulldogs season opener Pateryn scored a beautiful shorthanded goal beating St. John's goalie Eddie Pasquale top shelf to give the Bulldogs an early 1-0 lead.
Pateryn is currently the top defensemen in Hamilton with both Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu seeing time with the Montreal Canadiens early on this year. The quick start for Pateryn is a welcome surprise as it takes some pressure off of rookies Darren Dietz and Magnus Nygren and will allow them to adjust to the AHL style of hockey while playing in Hamilton.
Honorable Mentions - Dustin Tokarski/Robert Mayer: The Bulldogs goaltending tandem has had a rough start to the year from a wins perspective, but without their solid play in nets the Bulldogs are more than likely getting blown out in 3 out of their first 4 games. Tokarski is posting a 1.92 goals against average with a .934 save percentage while Mayer is also putting up a solid 2.81 goals against average with a .927 save percentage.
More from Eyes On The Prize:
- Retour sur le match Canadiens vs Predators
- 24CH episode 3 recap: Go West, young men
- No discipline from the NHL on Eric Nystrom's head shot on Daniel Briere
- Canadiens vs Predators - Game Recap - Head shots, rule bending, and poor performance ends the Habs' winning streak
- Does Sylvain Lefebvre know what he's doing?