Debby Wong-US PRESSWIRE
The Bulldogs stormed back from a 2-0 deficit in the third period to stun the Rochester Americans on Saturday night.
Blake Geoffrion and Brendan Gallagher helped the Bulldogs erase a 2 goal deficit midway through the third period on Saturday night, leading the Bulldogs to a 4-3 victory over the Rochester Americans. Geoffrion had 2 goals including the game winner, while Gallagher added a goal and assist.
After a scoreless opening frame, the Americans got on the board at 2:38 of the second period, on a goal from Brian Flynn. Marcus Foligno capitalized on a mistake behind the net by Antoine Corbin, and slid a pass to Flynn who was all alone in front of the net to chip it over the glove of Robert Mayer.
Flynn added his second of the game (and period) at 12:28. After taking a pass from Zemgus Girgensons, Flynn skated down the left wing, cut across the middle and fired a shot that fooled Robert Mayer on his stick side.
The Bulldogs finally got on the board at 9:42 of the final frame, when Blake Geoffrion whacked a loose puck past Americans goaltender Connor Knapp. The Bulldogs scored again just over 2 minutes later when Brendan Gallagher put a Patrick Holland rebound over the shoulder of Knapp.
Hamilton took their first lead of the game shortly after on a powerplay goal by Mike Blunden at 13:54. Nathan Beaulieu fired a shot from the blueline that deflected off Blunden and past Connor Knapp. With the assist, Beaulieu added his first professional point.
A minute later, Blake Geoffrion added his second of the game, when he came down the wing, put a shot on net, and buried his own rebound. Aaron Palushaj and Brendon Nash added assists on the play.
Rochester added a late goal from Nick Tarnasky, whoever it would not be enough as Robert Mayer and the Bulldogs held on for a 4-3 victory. Mayer made 24 saves on 27 shots for the win, with Knapp stopping 30 of 34 for the loss.
1. RCH – Brian Flynn – 2 – (Marcus Foligno, Evan Rankin) – 2:38
2. RCH – Brian Flynn – 3 – (Zemgus Girgensons, Mark Pysyk) – 12:28
3. HAM – Blake Geoffrion – 3 – (Frederic St-Denis, Jarred Tinordi) – 9:42
4. HAM – Brendan Gallagher – 3 – (Patrick Holland) – 12:04
5. HAM – Mike Blunden – 2 – (Nathan Beaulieu, Brendan Gallagher) – 13:54 (PP)
6. HAM – Blake Geoffrion – 4 – (Aaron Palushaj, Brendon Nash) – 15:01
7. RCH – Nick Tarnasky –2 – (Rick Schofield) – 16:22
Rochester: Connor Knapp (L – 34 shots, 30 saves)
Hamilton: Robert Mayer (W- 27 shots, 24 saves)
1. HAM- Blake Geoffrion (2 goals, 5 shots)
2. HAM- Brendan Gallagher (1 goal, 1 assist, 3 shots)
3. RCH- Brian Flynn (2 goals, 2 shots, +1)
Dan Lawrie Insurance Premium Player of the Game: Nathan Beaulieu