Montreal Canadiens News
- Speaking of Ron MacLean, remember when he said french refs probably shouldn't be scheduled for Habs games? Turns out he's right, because they're a little harsher towards the Habs than they are towards the rest of the league. Check out the numbers.
- In case you missed it here's the schedule for round 2. Once again we won't get to see a Saturday night game, instead we'll be treated to a 12:30 start due to some NBC insistence. Huzzah!
- Jack Han over at Canadiens.com took a stats-based look at the upcoming series. As a side-note, Canadiens.com has really stepped their game up of late, which is good news for everyone.
- Apparently Minnesota Wild owner Craig Leipold is expected to "go all in" on the Vanek sweepstakes. Montreal's only ace in the hole is that they can entice Vanek with an 8 year deal, but expectations should remain quite low when it comes to re-signing the Austrian forward.
- Injured Bruin and defensive specialist Daniel Paille is expected to be ready for round two.
- Could freak of nature Zdeno Chara be hinting at an upcoming retirement? No, not at all, but nowadays you can make a story out of anything.
- Subban hopes that the team learned it's lesson after squandering a 2-0 series lead the last time they faced the Bruins in the playoffs.
- Claude Julien hated the Bruins, now he hates the Habs, but he'll probably always hate King of the Hill.
- The Habs took the day off, and will practice today at 11 am. The Bruins partook in their first practice since eliminating the Wings.
- Don't forget to vote in the opening round of the most despicable Bruins of all time tournament.
- The Canadiens will need their currently anemic power play to start clicking if they hope to beat the Bruins in round one, and they know it.
GM Marc Bergevin joined Ron MacLean to talk about the upcoming second round series versus the Bruins:
News and Notes from Around the League
- New Flames GM Brad Treliving is expected to bring more truculence to the Flames, which makes it extra surprising that he was a Brian Burke hire.
- Ever wonder how Gretzky scored so many goals? Well, he was a great player first and foremost, however things have definitely changed.
- While we're talking Gretzky, there have been reports that he and the Capitals have expressed mutual interest in bringing Gretzky into the fold.
- I'm convinced Jaromir Jagr is going to play hockey until the day I die. He already has a deal in place with the Devils for the 2014-15 season.
- Wayne Simmonds scored a hat trick which propelled the Flyers/Rangers series to game 7. The first round is NEVER GOING TO END. Speaking of the hat trick, check out the failed celebration that followed.
- Minnesota Wild fans went all out with their taunting of Semyon Varlamov.
- R.J. Umberger wins this year's edition of the "Patrice Bergeron playing broken NHL playoffs" award.
- There are three game sevens on the docket tonight. Wild/Avalanche, Rangers/Flyers, Kings/Sharks.