Montreal Canadiens News
- The opening night of the playoffs will be this Wednesday. Montreal will face off against the Lightning at 7 PM EST on CBC in Canada and on CNBC in the United States. The rest of the schedule is available here.
- Unfortunately the Habs will not benefit of home ice advantage in round one, despite hitting the 100-point mark.
- This week's episode of Ice Level with Andrew Berkshire featured none other than Jim Corsi, and Connor McKenna. The podcast is available here.
- Joe O'Connor from the National Post thinks that everyone should love P.K. Subban. He's probably right.
- Dustin Tokarski signed a two year contract extension on Saturday. The first year is a 2 way deal, whereas the second year of the contract is a one way deal.
- As general managers and coaches start to fall by the wayside, Geoff Molson is quite happy with Marc Bergevin's performance so far at the helm of the Canadiens.
- Tim Bozon may have won his battle versus bacterial meningitis, but there's still a very long road to recovery ahead.
- Now that his season in the QJMHL has come to an end, prospect Martin Reway will be joining Slovakia at their training camp ahead of the World Championships. Here's an English interview with the website slovakprospects.com
- Carey Price is equaling records that were set in the 1950's. It's not exactly the type of record that you want your goalie to have to set while preparing for the playoffs, but the good news is that Price couldn't be any hotter right now. The man is human lava.
- Marc Antoine Godin explores the genesis of Thomas Vanek, and his road to and through the NHL.
- There's still no word on an exact date for Lars Eller's return. Although it's starting to look as if he's a little more than just 'sick'.
- Brian Wilde released his final grades for every Habs player this year. Pretty optimistic if you ask me, but a little optimism is never a bad thing. He hits the nail on the head in regards to several players. It's well worth a read.
- There was a fire in the building across from the Bell Centre on Saturday. No word yet on if it was an accident, or if Carey Price's excellence caused the building to experience spontaneous combustion.
- Mike Johnson gave his take on Why the Canadiens will win the Stanley Cup. There were 16 of these videos made, so let's not get too excited.
News and Notes from Around the League
Habs news and talk via twitter
A master twitter list for all your Habs news and analysis. If you don't have twitter and don't want it, but still want to follow the Habs as closely as possible, this list is for you.
- Elliotte Friedman interviewed former Habs player Dominic Moore, as he reflected on the life of his wife who did of liver failure. It's a great watch.
- Ryan Malone was arrested and charged with DUI and drug possession on Saturday morning. Hopefully he gets all the help he needs to clean up his act. This of course means we won't be seeing Malone during the first round match up with the Lightning.
- Victor Hedman did in fact play the last regular season game for the Bolts, meaning that in all likelihood we will be seeing the hulking defenceman in round one.
- Palat, Filppula and Bishop all missed the final game, and their status is up in the air for game one of the series.
- Ryan Smyth played his final NHL game on Saturday, and as you would expect there was a decent amount of waterworks. Bruce McCurdy took a look back at his career.
- The Leafs were rumoured to be interested in bringing in Peter DeBoer as their head coach, however reports suggest that DeBoer is on the cusp of signing a contract extension with the Devils.